Options

MCSE + CCNA R/S and CCNA Sec

shawn488shawn488 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
All,

I already have the CCNA R/S and CCNA Sec cert. I am thinking of going for the MCSE Windows 2012 cert. Would this make me more competitive in the job market by having this trio?

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Being really good at what you do and selling yourself will make you competitive. So with that being said.. long term what do you want to specialize in? Getting CCNA and CCNA Sec sounds like you are interested in networking... MCSE is a whole lot of work for someone who isn't specializing in being a Windows Administrator or System Administrator/Engineer blah blah blah...

Do you know what you want to focus on long term? Rounding out your skillset can be done with a MCSA or Red Hat certs.. but until you define what it is you want to ultimately do then aiming for MCSE seems like putting the cart before the horse.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Think about this too...the MCSE has to be renewed every 3 years just like Cisco exams but the MCSA never expires. I believe you only need two additional exams from MCSA to MCSE but look closely at the material and see the type of time commitment (I have not looked so I cannot confirm). I have always been told to be versatile in my skill sets because you have the most opportunity. I actually just got my CCNA Security (already have CCNA) so I am at a similar crossroad where I have to decide my next certification. If you like security you might want to consider looking at offensive security and CEH.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Again, it will not make you less competitive.
    CCNA + MCSE sounds like a network admin path, if you go that way I dont know if MCSE will do more for you than MCSA (Someone correct me/more details).

If you dont have much experience I would go for MCSA and land a job, then go up from there.
    meh
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are speaking of MCSA Server 2012 (exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412), to obtain the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Server Infrastructure certification, you will need to take two additional exams (70-413 and 70-414).

MCSA Exams:
    410 - Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
    411 - Administering Windows Server 2012
    412 - Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services

MCSE Exams:
    413 - Designing and Implementing a Server Infrastructure
    414 - Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, your best bet is to look on job boards and search using those certs and see what jobs you see with those combinations. Let what the jobs are looking for dictate whether its worth it.