Options

So I got a kick out of this job posting.

ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
45 hours a week 7-5 as stated in the job posting. 1 week vacation after a year. 3 personal days after a year.

Atlanta

35k max.

The following requirements

In-house IT Support & Customer Service position

In-house IT Support & Customer Service position (Alpharetta)
compensation: Salary Range $30-$35k annually dependent on experience
The In-house Support & Customer Service position will answer directly to management and will be responsible for assigned projects that will include shipping & receiving, and inventory management.

An understanding of basic PC support, server support, and client relations are necessary. Helpdesk support for clients involves being in a support queue and having an excellent customer service attitude while troubleshooting VoIP, phone system configuration, and networking issues.

The position requires strong communication, technical, and organizational skills. This is a great opportunity for a person who is self motivated, task oriented, eager and energetic, and looking for an environment where learning never stops.

Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
• Network Administration (including backup, security management, user account management, email systems, VOIP phone systems, security system, internet access, office systems and applications support).
• Supports servers, networks, and desktop hardware, software and applications.
• Helpdesk support for customers opening tickets with VoIP, PBX Configuration, or Networking issues.
• Quarterly technology needs/performance analysis and reporting.
• Plans, implements, and supports the network and computing infrastructure and assists with technology planning.
• Manages data growth on servers, video surveillance systems &, maintain UPS Battery BU.
• Assists clients with server/desktop install support.
• Configures and troubleshoots network printers and all network devices

Requirements:
• Working knowledge and experience with computers, network operating systems, Linux, and TCP/IP networking
• VoIP experience a plus
• VLan understanding and implementation
• Good understanding of VPN technologies like IPSec protocol and implementation on routers and firewalls
• Familiar with Tigerpaw CRM a plus
• Deployment of IP phones (SIP - Digium, Polycom, and others) a plus
• Understanding of public Internet routing and carrier services (T1, T1-PRI, Sip, & analog)
• Understanding and experience with website design & creation a plus.
• Knowledge of the traditional telephone systems desirable (Avaya, Nortel, Comdial, Vertical, etc.)
• Cabling understanding and experience is a major plus, including the ability to terminate voice and data jacks.
• Experience with Asterisk beneficial
• Strong presentation and communication skills
• Good project documentation skills
• Excellent internal and external customer service as well as excellent written and verbal skills
• Must live locally - North Atlanta area
• Have a can-do attitude with an ability to work in a high energy, team-driven environment
• Part time considered for the right person

Compensation:
• Salary Range $30-$35k annually dependent on experience

Work Expectations:
• 45 hours weekly (7:00-5:00), with 1 hour lunch (may vary or be adjusted based on events).

Benefits (90 Day Probationary Period):
• Paid vacation (1 week after first year)
• 3 accrued personal days first year
• Group Health, Life, dental Insurance available
• Paid holidays

Send Resume to jobs@uscomm.net

•Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
•do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers

Comments

• Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dunno, sort of looks like a very broad, low skillset jack-of-all-trades help desk type position. They list several technologies, but my guess is that they're not looking for an expert on any individual technology, just someone who's willing to put in the effort.

Do help desk type jobs generally pay more than 35K in Atlanta?
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RHEL wrote: »
    I dunno, sort of looks like a very broad, low skillset jack-of-all-trades help desk type position. They list several technologies, but my guess is that they're not looking for an expert on any individual technology, just someone who's willing to put in the effort.

Do help desk type jobs generally pay more than 35K in Atlanta?

I agree. Sounds like a broad help desk position. For an entry level though, 30-35K isn't terrible though. At least I don't think so. This isn't the kind of job I would stay at forever though.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Reads more like a JR admin role to me because of:

• Network Administration (including backup, security management, user account management, email systems, VOIP phone systems, security system, internet access, office systems and applications support).
    • Plans, implements, and supports the network and computing infrastructure and assists with technology planning.
    • VLan understanding and implementation
    • Good understanding of VPN technologies like IPSec protocol and implementation on routers and firewalls

Sounds like a company trying to be cheap in my eyes.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Balsy to list their awful time off policy on top of the low pay.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    To me it s says:
    - "If it has a power cable it's yours"
    - "If it is remotely IT related, it's yours"
    - "If you know all the stuff that we ask for, you are either desperate or don't know your value
    - "We don't value the IT function. We just need someone who understands this stuff for the least pay possible"
    - "You IT pawn do not get decent time off. All Your Base Are Belong To Us"
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    To me it s says:
    - "If it has a power cable it's yours"
    - "If it is remotely IT related, it's yours"
    - "If you know all the stuff that we ask for, you are either desperate or don't know your value
    - "We don't value the IT function. We just need someone who understands this stuff for the least pay possible"
    - "You IT pawn do not get decent time off. All Your Base Are Belong To Us"
    All your base pretty much sums it up
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the math and it works out to about $14.50 / Hr which isn't the worst pay I have ever seen for a job, but given the fact that the seem to want a lot of phone experience and the person is also responsible for shipping and receiving and inventory management, well seems low to me.
  • Options
    cshkuru wrote: »
    I did the math and it works out to about $14.50 / Hr which isn't the worst pay I have ever seen for a job, but given the fact that the seem to want a lot of phone experience and the person is also responsible for shipping and receiving and inventory management, well seems low to me.

And Networking Administration
    And website upkeep
    and IT planning and project work
    and IP phone support
    and 0 time off the first year
    and "vlan understanding and implementation"
    and 45 hours a week minimum (which we know will mean 24/7 support)
  • Options
    Yeah I just meant that phone systems are a fairly specialized piece of knowledge. Especially as much as they emphasized them. Not discounting everything else.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Someone is going to apply for that job. And they either won't know their worth, or they won't actually know what they are doing.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    With a schedule of deliverables like that... "and on the eighth day..." You get the idea.

- b/eads
  • Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gotta agree with cyberguypr. It appears they are trying to cover all the bases and set the expectation that the applicant should have multiple IT skills, even some very advanced ones, be willing to do a lot of entry level work, but also some potentially advanced work, but dont' expect a lot of pay and benefits.

The job could be a good one for someone new to IT to get started....provided the employer truly isn't seeking someone to who is also going to be doing a lot of the advanced network and server support.

Ulitmately the company will get what they pay for unless unemployment in IT is extremely high in Alparetta. Around here a $15.00 an hour desktop tech isn't bad, but most of the techs I've worked with at the last two jobs are closer to $22+ and pretty much all of them aren't responsible for anything much more advanced than desktop work.
  • Options
    Gotta agree with cyberguypr. It appears they are trying to cover all the bases and set the expectation that the applicant should have multiple IT skills, even some very advanced ones, be willing to do a lot of entry level work, but also some potentially advanced work, but dont' expect a lot of pay and benefits.

The job could be a good one for someone new to IT to get started....provided the employer truly isn't seeking someone to who is also going to be doing a lot of the advanced network and server support.

Ulitmately the company will get what they pay for unless unemployment in IT is extremely high in Alparetta. Around here a $15.00 an hour desktop tech isn't bad, but most of the techs I've worked with at the last two jobs are closer to $22+ and pretty much all of them aren't responsible for anything much more advanced than desktop work.

This is what I don't understand. Even if by some odd chance the pay was within 25% of what it should be (it's not) the requirement of a MINIMUM of 45 hours a week, and 0 paid time off seems to be okay with you? In what world is 0 time off and 45 hours a week okay? We are the only first world modern country in the world that allows such working conditions. It blows my mind.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Balsy to list their awful time off policy on top of the low pay.

Are they seriously saying there is no time off in the first year?
  • Options
    Trifidw wrote: »
    Are they seriously saying there is no time off in the first year?

You accrue 3 days PTO the first year. LOL.
  • Options
    rickberrrickberr Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it but this job was posted to craigslist. I actually know someone that once took a job posted on craigslist...they still complain about taking it to this day.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sad part is, they'll get replies, and someone will take it, if offered...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    I have found a couple jobs on craigslist, one at microsoft, one at amazon. nothing the matter with craigslist.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That part of Georgia is pretty rich in tech jobs. I can't imagine anyone applying for it. The company doesn't even have a working web site and they are suppose to be a voice provider - lol
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Similar to my role now, except CoL is a lot higher in NJ. I'm not 'the guy' though...there's two other people in my department. I also get 19 days off and don't work more than 40 hours a week though.

If there are no other staff members for this job, it's not worth it at all. Even if there is, I'd go insane with such little PTO.
  • Options
    adam220891 wrote: »
    Similar to my role now, except CoL is a lot higher in NJ. I'm not 'the guy' though...there's two other people in my department. I also get 19 days off and don't work more than 40 hours a week though.

If there are no other staff members for this job, it's not worth it at all. Even if there is, I'd go insane with such little PTO.

Not working over 40 hours, and getting a decent time off policy is a HUGE difference.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You would be surprised what people are willing to do. My last job I was offered $12/hr but got $14/hr as an intern for first 6 months, which wasn't disclosed during the initial interview. Anyone touching vSphere, servers, etc should not be making that little, but I was unemployed and you can't turn down a job offer or you lose your benefits, and I really wanted the experience anyways. I wasn't getting paid time off and whenever we closed for a holiday or storm, I wasn't paid. But I would agree, most of the time you get what you pay for. Or you hire someone that's just going to take the experience and quit as soon as something better comes along.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thacker wrote: »
    Not working over 40 hours, and getting a decent time off policy is a HUGE difference.

I agree. I would not take that job.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    This is for a newly graduate that needs experience. Spend between 6 months and 2 years there to get your experience and move on. It looks like what they ask for is actually "you'll sort of learn some of these things on the job" list

Sub-par job, but probably worth it to get experience without passing by phone support type of job
  • Options
    nster wrote: »
    This is for a newly graduate that needs experience. Spend between 6 months and 2 years there to get your experience and move on. It looks like what they ask for is actually "you'll sort of learn some of these things on the job" list

You think 35k is enough to pay down student loans never mind actually having a place to live?

You think that 0 vacation time is acceptable? Every other first world country aside from the US says that it's not.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You think 35k is enough to pay down student loans never mind actually having a place to live?

You think that 0 vacation time is acceptable? Every other first world country aside from the US says that it's not.

Are jobs required to help you pay your debts? Is it the business job to help you afford housing?
    If the terms are not good enough for you then dont accept. And if they continue to have bad terms they will get only poor candidates with high turnover.
    However if someone wants the experience then it may be a good opportunity. Ive done unpaid internships that were terrible. But they helped me get jobs later on, which was the entire point.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231

I started at 30K CAD (24.5K USD, apparently CoL-wise overall Atlanta isn't too far off Montreal) and my job is similar to Jr. Sys Admin, though there is definitively a help desk role in there as well. I got to skip phone helpdesk and got valuable experience here, my salary is now 38K CAD (31K USD) and basically capped out. I had 2 weeks vacation though, as per Canadian minimum.

I feel like I'm lucky to have this job as it is a great stepping stone
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Companies pay based on business need, skill-set, and demand, they don't care how much debt you have or whether you make enough to buy the house you want.

Reminds me of the whole low-wage fast food argument.
  • Options
    itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depending on where you're at in your career and your willingness to accept a job, any job - this could be one way to build new skills very quickly for someone who doesn't have overhead/fixed expenses (rent, mortgage,etc). Personally, my first thought was "RUN".