Options

Fretting over IOS versions

OrangePartyOrangeParty Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

New to networking and I just began studying for the CCNA. My workplace allowed me to borrow a few unused Cisco equipment to take home for practice, so I want to build a lab.

These are what I managed to find:

3x 3550 48-port switches
2x 2621 router
1x 2621XM router

I know that ideally, IOS 12.3T/12.4 covers close to all the commands. However, these devices have 12.2 and 12.1 on them. Are they good enough for the exam? Can they be upgraded (the 2621 to 12.3 and the 2621XM to 12.4), for personal use? Info from googling seems confusing -- some say I need a licensing agreement, some say it's only for v15, some say not at all.

Am I fretting too much over the 5 or however little % of unavailable commands?

Comments

• Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    Most people I know going for the CCNA are preferring the virtual solutions - either GNS3 or Cisco's new VIRL. Might be a bit easier on you to spin up larger scenarios for happy-fun-time.

I think you're find hardware wise in terms of getting your hands dirty with it - I can't speak to the % of commands unavailable though
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I currently have two 3550's and I believe i'm running 12.x version (I can't remember the exact version) and things such as creating crypto keys don't work. Apart from that - It's been fine for my CCENT studies - Although I have mainly been using packet tracer purely for ease and accessibility.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used a mix of IOS versions. I ended up deciding not to update them because it was more interesting learning which features did and didn't work and then working around it.

You could always use a simulator if you have something specific you really need to try out. If you are only borrowing the work equipment I would not change the IOS. If they gave it to you go ahead and try. Cisco says you need to own the correct version but I don't think they have ever pursued it for home labs.
  • Options
    OrangePartyOrangeParty Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mutata wrote: »
    Most people I know going for the CCNA are preferring the virtual solutions - either GNS3 or Cisco's new VIRL. Might be a bit easier on you to spin up larger scenarios for happy-fun-time.
    I read that I can do them completely in PT and GNS3, but I'd like to be able to do more than just pass an exam. :)

My boss wouldn't let me upgrade the IOS, so I have to make do. I just wanted to know if I should go find (and spend money on) one that has the 12.4. I guess I can see working with old versions as being part of the "hands-on".
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes you can upgrade the ios and you should to the lastest that you can. and you shouldn't buy a router that isn't running at least 12.4 and it isn't all that much more to get one that will run version 15.

and, as far as your boss not letting you do an upgrade, backup the ios to a tftp server before you do the upgrade and then restore the old ios before you return it.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    There is a hell of a lot of things you can do without the latest greatest version of IOS
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.