2015 Salary Report

ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
Received this in my inbox today. Well, at least salary is going up:) http://images.globalknowledge.com/wwwimages/pdfs/2015_SalaryReport.pdf

Comments

• ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCENT make $70k and CCNAs mid $80k a year? No way!! Sorry, that's pure incentive to get training from GK and get a rude awakening when you apply for the job. I wish though.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    According to this, I'm getting "executive" salary. Baller status?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Time to get a Mercedes on 24's!! icon_lol.gif
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103

That seems like baller status, but you live in CA icon_lol.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anyone read slide 19? Shows that large part of skill shortage is a myth.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Average Help Desk position pays nearly 60k? Yeah, okay...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    They could have saved a lot of time with a one page "get our training make a lot of money."
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seeing that IT Security tops the list definitely refuels my motivation
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This wasn't worth even opening.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Good fictional read.
    Lol at the help desk pay...
    meh
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCENT average salary is 70k? I'm going to need to have a conversation with my boss today. Very informative article. icon_razz.gif
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Average Help Desk position pays nearly 60k? Yeah, okay...

Entry level positions at my company are 55k-60k. This was actually the case with most of my friends when we graduated a few years ago.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I need to send this report to all my non-IT inclined acquaintances who want to do Infosec because it's cool and "always pays six figures", just to mess with their heads.
  • Polymorphic28Polymorphic28 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We have a few people at our agency that are making 60k by working help desk. Keep in mind that these are government positions.
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Good fictional read.
    Lol at the help desk pay...

The average pay at my agency is 55k to 60k for help desk...
    We have a few people at our agency that are making 60k by working help desk. Keep in mind that these are government positions.

Yea, I've looked at government positions in my area and they are definitely higher than the norm in terms of pay. By like 15k... If it wasn't like an hour drive to it I would probably apply there.

Average help desk position where I'm at I would say is 40-45k.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    50 - 60 is not a reach for help desk or any job for that matter, it's really not that much money anymore. People getting in the 30's are really lacking skills, negotiating aptitude or find themselves in a horrible market.
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    CompTIA certifications lead to a mean salary of 73k?

CEH mean is 95k?

Well, looks like I'm severely underpaid... icon_wink.gif
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Use this well designed report to leverage a salary increase. icon_thumright.gif
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    Entry level positions at my company are 55k-60k. This was actually the case with most of my friends when we graduated a few years ago.

Is this in DC or Seattle? Can't imagine entry-level help desk positions in most areas pay that much. I'd also assume it's more than a "password reset/clear cache and cookies then escalate" type of help desk, which no one in their right mind would pay anyone even close to that amount.
    Is this in DC or Seattle? Can't imagine entry-level help desk positions in most areas pay that much. I'd also assume it's more than a "password reset/clear cache and cookies then escalate" type of help desk, which no one in their right mind would pay anyone even close to that amount.

My company is global engineering and our salaries across the board are 55k-60k for entry level help desk with a 4 year degree. Heck, I was making $21 per hour as a co-op 4 years ago. There are many mid level IT people here on getting in the mid 80's and yes, they are just resetting passwords. You just have to negotiate and get in the right industry.

The positions that I know about are in Florida. At a minimum you need Security + and some IT experience. They are usually at a Tier 2 help desk.

N2IT wrote: »
    50 - 60 is not a reach for help desk or any job for that matter, it's really not that much money anymore. People getting in the 30's are really lacking skills, negotiating aptitude or find themselves in a horrible market.

This just is not true. If you walk into a job and they are only willing to pay 30-40k, I don't care if you negotiated the return of hostages from pirates, you're not getting 60k. Prior to my current job, I had 2 IT jobs and interviewed for a dozen or more. None paid more than $40k and this was for desktop support/jr admin type roles, not help desk. They weren't willing to pay more, that's it. You could be the next prodigy, but if a company has set a budget for a position, then good luck. Average college grad isn't making $60k coming out of a 4 year program, so I don't know how someone could expect help desk to make that much in most areas. It's an easy job that requires minimal skill. Yes, if you get in on the right company/industry/whatever you can get paid more than most do - and I know someone getting paid $60k for entry level desktop support (his relative worked there though). I wouldn't say that's the norm though. I have a good sample size and know a few people as well and what they make.
    There are many mid level IT people here on getting in the mid 80's and yes, they are just resetting passwords. You just have to negotiate and get in the right industry.

That just seems stupid to pay someone that much for that type of position... I'm not saying its not happening, I'm just saying the hiring manager would be an idiot.
    That just seems stupid to pay someone that much for that type of position... I'm not saying its not happening, I'm just saying the hiring manager would be an idiot.

Two things play into this: tenure in the company and what the market will bare. Market value is at 60k for people graduating with a bachelors from a descent school and no experience in the defense and engineering industry. I'm not exactly sure where most of you are getting your numbers from but that is what the going rate is right now. If you're making less, then it's either lack of soft skills or you're applying to the wrong jobs. I firmly believe that under no circumstances should someone with a computer science or a CIS degree get less than 55k for a job out of college. If that is the case for you, then you got to do some soul searching to do.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, you can believe that all you want, but it won't make companies pay more!

You are right though, in certain positions and industries the pay is much better than others.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    According to this I am at entry level pay.....what have I done with the past six years of my life?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's all about who you know. If you know the right people there's a limitless possibility of what you could be making.
    Two things play into this: tenure in the company and what the market will bare. Market value is at 60k for people graduating with a bachelors from a descent school and no experience in the defense and engineering industry. I'm not exactly sure where most of you are getting your numbers from but that is what the going rate is right now. If you're making less, then it's either lack of soft skills or you're applying to the wrong jobs. I firmly believe that under no circumstances should someone with a computer science or a CIS degree get less than 55k for a job out of college. If that is the case for you, then you got to do some soul searching to do.

What's your first job going to be out of college in that situation though? If it's help desk - which it is for most people, then aiming for $55k in most situations is not realistic (not impossible, but you might be waiting for awhile). I typically never hear of someone doing VMware/Cisco/Sever engineering out of college with no experience since they do not teach you that in school for the most part, and those positions do pay $50k+ in most cases.

Average salary for a college grade is $43k for what it's worth. I'd agree that IT is harder than many fields, but I'd disagree that the entry level positions (help desk, desktop support) are much harder than other entry level jobs (entry level accounting, etc). I mean, I've done those jobs. Going forward in the future, if/when I'm the hiring manager, I wouldn't compensate $55k with a degree and no experience to reset passwords and escalate tickets. Not saying it doesn't happen, and I wish I was compensated that much when I was doing it (I am compensated more than that and was only in two entry level roles for a year, so I'm not sour grapes lol) but I mean I can understand why no one was paying me that.

I don't mean to get fired up, but you cannot tell me I lack soft skills and negotiating skills. My first year in IT I had to of interviewed for over a dozen positions and none paid more than $40k. You weren't getting $15k more than the max they were willing to pay, period. I'm 100% positive those positions existed and I just couldn't get an interview for them, but I'd like to think my luck wasn't that awful and I didn't manage to go to every low paying interview possible.
    Yea, I'm just going to assume we live in different areas of the country Broli. Cause I've worked at large and small companies and there is almost 0 chance you get 60k working help desk with a degree and no experience where I'm at.

I live in an area where the cost of living is pretty low, I should probably stop commenting when people start talking about salaries... I know what gets what in my area and it is probably totally different than other areas.