Continue school or start a new program?

zafeer20zafeer20 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I just recently finished my freshmen year of community college and I was told about a program which seems pretty promising. The program is totally free they just make you do your FAFSA to see if you can get a grant that can help them, you get 15 college credits that do transfer to my current CC, they pay for your basic CompTIA certs A+, N+, and S+, and they pay you a weekly stipend, its a 1 year program the first 6 months are where they train you on professionalism and IT or Cybersecurity (your choice), then the second 6 months they place you into a internship with a fortune 500 company in the technology field you choose. It seems to be a very good program but i have friends telling me not to do it and just continue with the route im going at. I want to get a help desk job and whatnot right now and continue school but no one is writing back to me, do you guys think I should join the program or should I just get some more certs and keep on applying. The main reason I ask is because the college credits they give are skewed in regards to what I want to transfer into for my 4 year degree, I already have 34 credits completed. Thanks for the help guys.

Comments

• Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If they are going to place you in a Fortune 500 program and pay for the Triad you have to do it.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paid or unpaid internship? Do you get credits for the internship? Do you have any experience now?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Caveat Emptor, be careful what you are getting yourself into. Do you know this place is legit?

FAFSA isn't a grant to help them, its Pell Grants for schooling. They are just billing student loans for them. I would proceed with extra caution on that one.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Caveat Emptor, be careful what you are getting yourself into. Do you know this place is legit?

FAFSA isn't a grant to help them, its Pell Grants for schooling. They are just billing student loans for them. I would proceed with extra caution on that one.

Recently, I have seen some legitimate work for development grant activity programs. This might be one of them, but OP needs to be careful that this is not a predatory for-profit or technical training center that leaves him with little gain, a lot of debt, and / or some type of unfair working contract.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is the name of the program?
  • zafeer20zafeer20 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Eston21 wrote: »
    If they are going to place you in a Fortune 500 program and pay for the Triad you have to do it.

Its just an internship they were showing that only 1/4 of the students get offered a full time position at the place they intern at other than that its just experience.
    Shdwmage wrote: »

They have a few campuses spread out around the USA and one of the campuses is attached to my CC in another location (My CC is pretty big and they have like 7-8 campuses spread around the NOVA area). I went to a seminar and I have a buddy who is 5 months deep into it, I believe they are legitimate as they seem pretty well established and I doubt my CC would promote a fraud company. They make you do FAFSA to see if you qualify for any pell grants which can pay towards the program if you don't qualify it doesn't matter, at the info. session the presenter was saying that companies pay this program $24k a student which will partially pay the program and the student and in return they seek a student to fulfill their intern spots.
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    paid or unpaid internship? Do you get credits for the internship? Do you have any experience now?

You get a weekly stipend, my friend is currently in the program and he is getting about $250 a week. He gets placed in his internship next month. I dont have any professional experience at the moment, and you get college credits which can help you work towards your degree.