Passed sec +....now what?

balcobullsbalcobulls Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have no IT job experience so I am attempting to gain enough certificates to prove skills to an employer so I can change career fields. My current education background is a B.S. IT security, Net+, Cloud + and now sec+. Does anyone have suggestions on where to go next? I was thinking Linux + or a cisco or juniper cert...

Comments

• successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What job are you at now?
    Pick a field. You're all over the place it appears? Networking? Security? Linux/admin stuff?

If you have no IT job experience, then what jobs have you applied for? Need a clearer picture please. :)

*Most people* with even your list of certs and degree, start at the bottom with no viable exp. Just a heads up to what you "may" be facing when putting out feelers.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think getting an IT job would be next up. Getting lots of certs without professional experience to support them actually becomes a hindrance in your job search at some point (I don't think you're at that point but just an fyi). Getting an actual job in IT to go along with your certs will be of great value and then based on your interests/your companies technologies/your career path then the next cert/education goal will become clearer.

I wouldn't want to do a linux or cisco cert that won't align with your job duties/future career aspirations.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • balcobullsbalcobulls Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have applied to all sorts of positions, from networking administrator to project management. I am currently a uas instructor/operator, but I am getting bored so I am looking for a career change. I have been applying for positions for the last year and nothing so far. I would love to get some job experience so my certs can actually count for something. My goal is to work in the security field, however, it seems like you have to work your way up from admins into security (I might be completely wrong so please correct me if I am). I have been trying to get as many certs as possible to show my knowledge and skill level due to lack of experience. I am not all that great at linux, and I know with the security field you need to understand all OS, so I wanted to tackle Linux. Do you believe that it would be better just to learn linux and not certify and only certify in knowledge areas that are directly linked to security?

I just want to say I am very thankful for those who have read and those who respond, the more knowledge the better for me!
  • Bl@ckbriarBl@ckbriar Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed My Security+ ... now trying to get into CEH from and authorised trainer icon_rolleyes.gif
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Next step is CASP.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Those certs will help you get an entry level help desk job, so that should be your next step to get some experience. While you are getting experience, pick a direction. If you want to do system admin, Microsoft. Networking, Cisco. Ect.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Now, you take a trip around the world in 80 days & when come back from it, start your CCNA (R&S)..
    balcobulls wrote: »
    I have no IT job experience so I am attempting to gain enough certificates to prove skills to an employer so I can change career fields. My current education background is a B.S. IT security, Net+, Cloud + and now sec+. Does anyone have suggestions on where to go next? I was thinking Linux + or a cisco or juniper cert...
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    btw....Congrats!!