Options

Please help critique my resume

Sosa79Sosa79 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am working on landing that entry-level position...this is just a rough draft, so please let me know what I should include if I'm leaving anything out...thank you.

SUMMARY OF SKILLS/COURSEWORK
• PC Technology (A+ Hardware) • MS Office • Windows Server/Client Administration
• OS Technology (A+ Software) • Matlab • Cisco Switching/Routing

EXPERIENCE
2004-March 2005 • Environmental Engineering Solutions, PC • Peekskill, NY
Compliance Engineer/Database Manager
Created and maintained a database organizing various permits for clients
Reviewed local/state/federal environmental regulations
Compliance, assessment and client coordination pertaining to various environmental codes and standards
2001-2003 • IT Computing- State University of New York at Buffalo • Buffalo, NY
IT Computing Consultant
Provided software support for the application programs available in our site to the
University at Buffalo community that includes faculty, staff, and students.
Site maintenance and resource management.
Collaborated with a 20+ consultant team
Key Accomplishments:
Employee of the Month (April 2002).
Gained valuable customer service experience and proficiency in numerous software applications including UNIX, Matlab, and PSpice.
First wage increase within first 4 months of working.
1999– Present • Beach Wines and Liquors • Peekskill, NY
Assistant Manager
Customer service; cashier
Networking with clientele
Keeping track of orders and inventory management

EDUCATION
The College of Westchester - White Plains, NY
Feb. 2005-Present: Working towards certification degree in Computer Networking; to be completed by Summer 2006; A+ Certified

State University of New York at Buffalo- Buffalo, NY
Bachelors of Science, Electrical Engineering, June 2003

Comments

• Options
    rarossraross Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hrm, first looking through your resume I hardly noticed your 4 year degree. That is key when an employer is looking through your resume so I would put that first. Because that is by far your greatest accomplishment :)!
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    good resume - but it is backwards in format. Start with 1.education 2.experience 3. skills.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You probably removed your contact info on purpose, but make sure you remember that. Make sure it has your email address as well.

I would create a new section for your certifications. You'll also want a section for any IT-related work you've done in the past. Make a note at the bottom, telling anyone browsing your resume that you'll provide them with references if they need any.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think it should start with skills.. these are the things that they will be looking for first making sure that your going to fit with what they want.. then education.. finally experience ..it looks ok, at the top of the resume use a summary opening for a short opening .. leave out references on resume if they want them they will ask .. and its a good sign when they ask for them icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    rarossraross Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:
    i think it should start with skills.. these are the things that they will be looking for first making sure that your going to fit with what they want.. then education.. finally experience ..it looks ok, at the top of the resume use a summary opening for a short opening .. leave out references on resume if they want them they will ask .. and its a good sign when they ask for them icon_wink.gif

I think they look for education first. Skills, yes it is important, but if you're applying for the job, I think they assume you have the correct skills.
  • Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whatever is the most impressive goes first. If you're fresh out of school and you don't have much work experience, list your education ahead of experience. Otherwise, list your experience first.
  • Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How is Electrical Engineering? I see a lot of EE graduates getting crappy jobs. What's up with that?
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    A resume is all based upon presentation! An employer wants to quickly identify your most important achievements first - like education or experience...etc. but then again there are many different ways to present your resume effectively. Do a google on resume tips- you will find many helpful hints-
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually present my resume in this format certifications - experience then last for education, a lot of large companies will look for what you have achieved since they can check with that company the achievements you have made while you were associated with that company. I also patterned my resume from the format of Scott Morris http://smorris.uber-geek.net/ (the guy that I look up to.. for those who don't know Scott M, he is one of the best instructors for CCIE candidates.). Just my two cents of thoughts.. :D
    Thank you for calling Cisco Technical Assistance Center.. This is Edward how may I help you?
  • Options
    Sosa79Sosa79 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey...thanks for all the replies. Yes, I did leave my contact info out on purpose :) . I don't know how it is for most EE's, but as with most jobs, they require experience, and how are you gonna get any when there's no one willing to hire you? Thus I decided to go into IT a year ago and so far, so good. I am just looking for an entry-level position, and my school has a pretty good career center, but I figure I might as well take advantage of all the resources available to me. I was told my resume should be specific to whatever job I'm applying to, therefore I listed my IT skills/courses first, and my education towards the end. I just find that my list is pretty generic, and I'm not really good at one particular thing...but I think it would help more if I could narrow down some specific skills like Troubleshooting, or Upgrading, etc...instead of putting down "Oh, I know Hardware & Software." I also wouldnt want to make a whole separate section just to list the A+ certification...I guess I can put that under skills.