Thoughts on taking a local government public school offered class for CISSP?

Lord_MaouLord_Maou Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I saw a pamphlet in the mail about local adult learning courses via the county public school systems. Has anyone here taken a class for a certificate from somewhere like this?

They don't list the professor's full name, it just says Professor Gibson. I can't find anyone associated with that name teaching cissp or being reviewed by someone.

Comments

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Training for the CISSP will become so common you might as well be handed a box of 'Cracker Jacks' to go along with your certificate.

This sounds bad if not wrong on so many levels I cannot begin to seriously comment on how bad an idea this is and why. Adult education teaching a mid-career cert? I can hear the value plummeting as I type.

- b/eads
  • Lord_MaouLord_Maou Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Training for the CISSP will become so common you might as well be handed a box of 'Cracker Jacks' to go along with your certificate.

This sounds bad if not wrong on so many levels I cannot begin to seriously comment on how bad an idea this is and why. Adult education teaching a mid-career cert? I can hear the value plummeting as I type.

- b/eads

You have to pay for the course and the professor is supposed to be accredited by ISC2.

If you assumed it was free because its provided via a public school, it isn't.
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Point is, do people think the CISSP is like A+ or an Emergency Med Tech cert where you do a seminar, pass an exam and get your first job in the field?

I CRINGE when I see guys on here thinking CISSP is the gateway to a career in infosec. It is NOT. If you aren't already working in security, you have no business sitting for this exam, period.
  • analystanalyst Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are PMP prep courses in public community colleges around here. That's also (intended to be) a mid-career cert. I don't see the big deal as long as the instructor is quality and the people who take the class get value out of it.
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    analyst wrote: »
    There are PMP prep courses in public community colleges around here. That's also (intended to be) a mid-career cert. I don't see the big deal as long as the instructor is quality and the people who take the class get value out of it.

I agree with analyst.
    If lord maou can benefit from the training and actually pass the test, then more power to him.
    It is ISC's job to vet the candidates and maintain the integrity of the cert.
    Who knows, lord mauo might be a security prodigy. The worst he could do is get an interview with beads and spend an hour in the hot seat. ;)
  • renacidorenacido Member Posts: 387 ■■■■□□□□□□
    - Community college is accredited, there is curriculum oversight and instructor qualification. It is not adult ed at the local high school.

- Project Managers do not require a body of prerequisite technical knowledge, just the PMBOK. Security professionals have to know a lot about IT, not just what's in the CBK.

- PMP Prep courses are appropriate for entry-level project managers because they prepare a novice Project Manager for the CAPM, which is PMP with less than 5 years of PM experience. Associate of ISC2 is ok for entry-level but definitely not the ideal start to an infosec career, and again I must stress that a couple of years in IT should come as a prerequisite to entry into infosec.