How is CCENT different than Network+?

kineticfskineticfs Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed Network+ few days ago.
I'm now aiming for the CCNA and is currently studying for the ICND1.

I understand that there is little more subnetting involved than the Network+,
but generally speaking, I think 70~80% of the materials in CCENT are already covered in Network+.

What are the main differences between Network+ and CCENT?
Should I just skim through the book?

For those of you guys who took both exams, how difficult CCENT was compared to Network+?

Thank you!
Goals for 2018: AWS Developer Associate COLOR=#008000]Completed[/COLOR / Solutions Architect COLOR=#ff8c00]In Progress[/COLOR

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the big difference with ICND1 is you are going to have to know how to configure cisco devices. Network+ teaches you concepts but not so much the specifics of configuration. I think you might need to know ospf for for CCENT but the cisco website should give you the specifics.

Good Luck!
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    First of all, congratulations on the pass.

I agree with the above - Being a cisco certifications, they want to make sure that you are competent with the Cisco CLI rather than Network+ looks as though it's teaching you the theory.

I think it's still worth making your way through the books and video series in great detail as it will only benefit you in the long run.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    I'd say more like 30~40% of the material on the CCENT was on the Network+. The CCENT goes into more depth as well (IPv6, subnetting, subnetting design, etc.). The biggest difference is that the CCENT covers switch and router configurations, so most of the concepts are related to a some kind of configuration. The two certs are really not that similar.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would say maybe 25% of the same material. I definitely don't recommend just skimming a book. There is just too much random fact memorizing with the Network+... You'll learn a lot more about networking with the CCENT. You'll learn how networks are actually put together and how equipment integrates together in a network. Its still only the basics but I found it a lot more valuable and definitely more interesting than the Network+.

As far difficulty, it is going to be more difficult, but the material was more interesting to study which makes it easier. (hopefully that makes sense)
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Think of Network+ like Ground School on learning how to fly. You learn the basics of flight, weather and operations of aircraft. Think of CCENT as Ground School on Learning to fly Cessna's where you learn about the individual operation of that particular aircraft manufacturer.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln