Options

Windows 10 release date is July 29 - free upgrade from win 7 and 8.1

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) has finally revealed an exact date for the release of its new operating system, stating that Windows 10 will become available on July 29th.The OS will see the return of the Start menu, a new browser called Microsoft Edge, and the inclusion of voice-controlled assistant Cortana. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will be able to download the new operating system as a free upgrade on both PCs and tablets, while Windows 10 for other devices will be released later this year.

Windows 10 to be released July 29 - Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) | Seeking Alpha

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just got a notification in Windows to reserve my upgrade
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not that I pirate my software, but I know people who do, but I heard that even pirated versions will get a free upgrade?

I don't really care about the question, I was just wondering if that is a true statement.

Edit

Found it

Why Microsoft Is Giving Away Windows 10 To Pirates [Update]
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    “Although non-Genuine PCs might be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. This applies across geographies. Customers that are improperly licensed before the upgrade will be improperly licensed after the upgrade. We will provide a mechanism for non-genuine Windows 10 PC devices to “get genuine” via the new Windows Store, whether they are upgraded versions of Windows or purchased. We will have details on this as we get closer to launch.”

From the bottom of the same article listed above.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Sounds like they just want to provide security updates to keep non-genuine copies from becoming compromised systems because they don't get security updates.
  • Options
    Say what?
    More annoyingly, perhaps, Microsoft has also changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    But I like Windows 7.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $200 for Pro for businesses, and they expect this to have great market share?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can always buy Windows 7 Pro and get the free upgrade (at least for the first year)
  • Options
    Businesses don't get the free update. I wonder how it's checked. IP?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    asmills85asmills85 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Free upgrade? Here's a good strategy to mass infiltrate with your new os.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Businesses don't get the free update. I wonder how it's checked. IP?

Business licenses numbers. Windows and many other commercial software products have different serials for different customers. A company of lets say 50 PCs can go to Microsoft and get a key that is valid for 50 PCs and another company that has 1000 users can go to Microsoft and get a key that is valid for 1000 PCs. They do not check by IP.
  • Options
    That makes sense for volume licensing but what about OEM licenses?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would presume that OEM licenses (at least home consumer licenses) should be eligible for the free upgrade.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pretty excited about the release.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very Apple-ish of Micro$oft to do the free upgrade. But really 8 was a huge step in the wrong direction. So now they are trying to make up for their misstep by offering the OS as a free upgrade. Thanks but no thanks Micro$oft.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Snap feature is kind of interesting with the four quadrant thing. I would have liked to have seen the ability to divide the screen in half along the horizontal access instead of the vertical axis.

I really hope operating systems don't go the way of a recurring monthly payment in place of a one time fee, which seems to be the trend of a lot of software.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    You people are amazing, you always think there is an underlying reason that these companies do something, it is in their best interest to upgrade their OS for free, the OS is the least important part of the puzzle...
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    If a computer was purchased from Dell home and shipped to a business, think it gets the free update? What if it's bought from dell business?

Ditto on horizontal snap, I use 2 horizontals on a regular basis, rarely use 2 verticals or quad.

Free OS makes sense for apple who sells a lot of hardware. Not so much for msft. Then again desktop windows is cheap compared to server and office.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    I'm keeping my Windows 7 laptop with Windows 7. My Windows 8.1 laptop on the other hand will be upgraded.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Sounds like they just want to provide security updates to keep non-genuine copies from becoming compromised systems because they don't get security updates.

There is non-genuine but then there is non-genuine that act like a legit version, updates included.
  • Options
    xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    Frankly, I'm looking forward to it. I'll keep Windows 7 until I get A+ certified, but will upgrade soon after.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    You people are amazing, you always think there is an underlying reason that these companies do something, it is in their best interest to upgrade their OS for free, the OS is the least important part of the puzzle...

I'm pretty certain this "free" update is going to be used to track our every move by the government... I'm also leaning towards MTciscoguy is a spy trying to persuade our opinion otherwise as well. I see what you're doing ncool.gif

edit: saw I used "your" instead of "you're, epic fail! All hope is lost.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you know if they offer the upgrade to virtual environments? My sister got the message in her PC, but I haven't got it at any of my VMs.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yzT wrote: »
    Do you know if they offer the upgrade to virtual environments? My sister got the message in her PC, but I haven't got it at any of my VMs.

Didn't get a message on any of my physical machines either.
    I'm pretty certain this "free" update is going to be used to track our every move by the government... I'm also leaning towards MTciscoguy is a spy trying to persuade our opinion otherwise as well. I see what you're doing ncool.gif

I am pretty sure that is the same concern people have who have a public Failbook profile, showing the world their personal life, public HookedIn, showing the world their professional life and use twatter and and all sorts of image sharing sites to make sure everyone else knows everything from birth onwards but OMG the NSA is reading my cookies and know which pwn sites I browse :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p