ICND2.... Failed.

MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
I feel fairly disappointed in myself. I thought I had the material down coming into the exam, but I found out I did not. The exam was more difficult than I had expected. I feel like I had an unusually high amount of sims on the exam, but I should have been prepared for that. I did encounter a few things on the exam that was not covered in my study materials. I primarily used CBT Nuggets ICND2 and Chris Bryants CCNA bootcamp. I did have the Boson exams - but I may do the failure refund for them. I passed their exams 100%, but their content (unlike with ICND1) didn't really reflect what I saw on ICND2. Also the refund would pay a good portion of my next attempt. Maybe something changed? They did do several updates to the exam recently (every time I opened it, it needed to download an update)... The exam was very frame relay and STP heavy, which you will see reflected on my section performance. I did have some various routing stuff that I pulled a blank on and did not recall seeing before. Overall, my score was fairly bad but I understand what I need to focus on to prepare. I am not getting discouraged though, I just need to lab more and study harder. I admit that towards the exam date I relaxed my study effort some, unlike ICND1 where I studied up until the day before. I am planning to retake the exam sometime next month to allow myself a full month of going over everything.

Exam breakdown:

Total score: 762
Passing score: 825
Total score possible: 1000

LAN Switching Technology: 64%
IP Routing Technologies: 43%
IP Services: 100%
Troubleshooting: 82%
WAN Technologies: 63%

The LAN and WAN stem primarily from not studying frame relay and STP enough. I won't tell you exactly what to study for them, since there is an NDA - but I will tell you know them in and out.

IP Routing - This is where I feel my study material failed me. There were concepts on the exam that I did not encounter in my studies. Not a big deal. I made note of what drew blanks and will be looking into them. I am also going to expand my study material.

My biggest advice, coming from the failure: Study harder and lab more. Don't relax before the exam, keep at it even if you feel like you understand everything. Odds are, unless you do for a living - you don't. I am definitely going to add more study material and try more note taking.

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bummer man, trust me I know the feeling all too well. Sounds like you have a good idea of where to focus more study efforts on. My best advice for a re-test is not to let it stretch too much time before retesting. Give yourself a good amount of time to re-study but try to keep it as fresh as possible too.

Good luck with your next attempt!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I wouldn't take it too badly, I failed it twice in a row, once when I was trying to renew my CCNA then again after it expired and I had to re-test. You will probably end up failing other tests as well, just part of the learning process, though it sucks it costs you a pretty penny when you do miss the pass score.
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    Did you use only those videos and no book? Now I'm nervous, taking mine on the 3rd and I was pretty relaxed. Frame Relay is my weakest point so apparently I'll be cramming that. Was the INCD2 more difficult than the ICND1? There are so many mixed opinions on that.

Hit it hard for a couple weeks and you'll knock it out of the part next time!
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At least now you know what areas you need to focus on and know some of the questions to expect. Good luck. I'm sure you'll pass the next time.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you use only those videos and no book? Now I'm nervous, taking mine on the 3rd and I was pretty relaxed. Frame Relay is my weakest point so apparently I'll be cramming that. Was the INCD2 more difficult than the ICND1? There are so many mixed opinions on that.

Hit it hard for a couple weeks and you'll knock it out of the part next time!

The only reason the ICND1 can be considered harder is because it's an initial learning curve. Topics of ICND2 are harder, period. But if you have no foundation, ICND1 will take awhile to grasp and make it seem harder. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't worry, you will get it next time. You may benefit more from a book that you can make notes in and easily go back to for reference. Good luck!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I appreciate all the votes of confidence for round 2! That was the big difference between ICND1 and ICND2 for me - I relied more on the videos for the 2nd exam. I already ordered Odoms book to supplement with. Thank goodness for free 2-day shipping!

As for ICND2 being harder or easier - to me the material was more difficult.
  • showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everything is ahead of you. 762 is not low score. And besides you aldready know your weak points. I can give you some advice on STP. I'm obsessed with it. Because STP is one of core concepts of CCNP Switch. You can PM me whenever you need. Good luck!
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    I already ordered Odoms book to supplement with. Thank goodness for free 2-day shipping!

Odom's books often come with an appendix. I can't remember if the additional appendices were on the DVD that is in the back of the book or if they are just in the ebook version. Either way I highly recommend getting access to the appendices, even if you have to buy the ebook. There is additional content about STP, that makes it worth it.

Also, don't forget to download the errata for the book. This can make reading easier, so you're not trying to figure out why the book says something, when it's actually just an error that was over looked in the editorial process.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bummer on the fail but it sounds like your on the right track.

I used Odem's book and his test bank is not to bad.
    When I am taking practice tests I always keep a blank scrap paper with me. Keep a list of every question or answer that you didn't have any idea what it was. So if an exam references STP and you don't know what it is you can add it to your list.

At the end of your practice exam you have a current list of weak spots. Often we read something and think we get it but someone else is really just telling it to you at that point. When taking practice tests it's a good idea to figure what you didn't know yet as well as what you get correct. It also helps me focus on the concepts and not just the practice questions.

Good Luck on the retake!
  • BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where can the errata for the Odom and Lammle book be found?
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • ksmith0001ksmith0001 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You will get it next time.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BJ4IT wrote: »
    Where can the errata for the Odom and Lammle book be found?

For Odom's books you just go to the CiscoPress website, select the book you want the errata for and then click on "updates" on the listing. There will be a link for the errata. For your convenience:

Odom ICND1: http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9781587143854/errata/9781587143854Errata03312015.doc

Odom ICND2: http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9781587143731/errata/9781587143731Errata03312015.doc

Those were the current links when I made this post. It's probably best for people to go to the CiscoPress website when looking for errata to make sure they get the most recent one.

For the OP, here is the appendix I was talking about earlier. It looks like they have it available to download for free on the CiscoPress website:

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/cisco/bookreg/9781587143731/9781587143731_APP_B_9_2014.pdf
  • jfheisenbergjfheisenberg Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I Failed the CCNA exam this past friday (807/825). Any body can advise me if i will get the same concepts of labs? i got two ACLS and 1 EIGRP lab. I want to be sure to practice the correct info to be 100% sure i will pass on my second try
  • siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    ICND2 has more difficult material. You have taken the right approach to use multiple resources, on top of the videos you have.

All in good time, Moose.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching