Does anyone have an expirience with Unetlab?

showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Unetlab - Unified Networking Lab. It seems to be free. I saw .ova extensions when I tried to download it. So I don't know where I need to install it. Maybe some of you already has an experience with it?

Thanks.

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been tinkering with it, though its still in development, so a lot of features are yet to come. Think of it as alternative to Cisco's VIRL, but you have to supply your own images.

It can be installed within VMware Workstation, Fusion(?) or ESXi. Best bet is to follow the doco on the Unetlab site. If you search "Unetlab & Youtube" you can find some video walk throughs.
  • showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I certainly will. Thanks for the directions.

What images do you mean? which I use in GNS3 as IOS ?
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use to images you'd use in GNS3 as Unetlab has dynamips built in, or you can use L2/L3 images from VIRL or onePK. Thought I'm sure there could be legal issues with this...but as onePK is a free download....?

vEOS (from Arista) is also a great alternative to a Cisco switch, the CLI is almost identical but with the Cisco proprietary protocols removed. Arista was founded by some ex-Cisco employees, hence the similarities. Just have to register and download.

Getting the images into Unetlab is a little cumbersome, and naming conventions are VERY important. The Unetlab interface still needs work, but as its still in beta thats to be expected...but its still usable.