Options

What to do on Windows Server 2012?

ProFamousProFamous Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all, just finished installing Windows Server 2012 on my laptop, set it up, logged in...now I have no clue what to do. This is literally the first time ive even looked at a server OS, so I am sorta overwhelmed. Just curious as to what I can do. I have an extra laptop around here running Win7, so I was thinking maybe active directory? Any other ideas what I can just mess around with in a lab environment? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    What are the specs on your laptop? If you have at LEAST 8gb RAM (preferably at least 16gb) and a virtualization-enabled processor you should definitely install the Hyper-V role and start a small virtual lab. You can run AD in there and do a nested virtualization lab.
  • Options
    I have an i5 processor with 6 GB of RAM, virtualization is supported. I might just upgrade the RAM if possible, considering how cheap it is nowadays. But I can still use AD with my other laptop I suppose. Any other ideas? Thanks!
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first thing you should do on your new server 2012 install is go download a copy of centos or ubuntu server. After you've burned your distro of choice to a flash drive, reboot and install linux.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Hyper v box, AD, DNS , dhcp, Iis, radius, to name a few ideas
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    W Stewart wrote: »
    The first thing you should do on your new server 2012 install is go download a copy of centos or ubuntu server. After you've burned your distro of choice to a flash drive, reboot and install linux.

Figures
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    W Stewart wrote: »

Haha I actually prefer linux to tell you the truth, however MCSA is on my list of certs plus I'd like to know how to use Server 2012. Anyways I will try DNS, DHCP and Radius here soon.
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you are going for MCSA then start figuring out how to accomplish the tasks listed in the objectives of whichever exam you are starting with. If going with 70-410 do as others said and deploy DHCP, DNS, AD. Play with converting from core to GUI, VHDs, setting file shares, assigning permissions, etc.