Declare internship/unpaid work experience on CV?

ADVriderADVrider Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Am I being underhanded by not mentioning one of the positions on my CV was actually an unpaid internship?

Comments

• kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    If it was experience why wouldn't you have it on there? It isn't hurting you in any way.
  • ADVriderADVrider Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    If it was experience why wouldn't you have it on there? It isn't hurting you in any way.

I mean declaring the role was unpaid.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Meh....I would omit it until an employer asks.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Nervous InterviewerNervous Interviewer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone else here. Do not mention it was an unpaid internship on your resume. They most likely will never ask about the paid for that position and if they do, state it was a great opportunity for experience. If they push it further, say you were hoping for a bit more.

But they probably won't ask about it, and if they do, they are trying to gauge on how much they can pay you. NEVER discuss pay before the offer. Only during their offer of employment.

Good luck, man!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Would you put how much you got paid on other jobs on resume? Just cause its an internship doesn't mean the same doesn't apply.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Don't mention it. Mention the experience..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Many people list internships on their resume, especially toward the beginning of their careers. You most definitely want to make this professional experience known on your resume. The unpaid part is your business, but there's nothing wrong with declaring that you were an intern on your resume. Again, this is very common.

On a side note, if a potential employer decides to low-ball you on an offer because you were once an unpaid intern, RUN the other direction. (I highly doubt this is going to happen)
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • ADVriderADVrider Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□