Options

VTP question

Mr. GrundleMr. Grundle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm using the Sybex CCNA 4th edition to study along with the Exam Cram 2 CCNA practice questions book.

Sybex specifically says that when a switch is in VTP transparent mode that they cannot delete or add vlans because they maintain their own database. One of the Exam Cram questions I got wrong because the answer says that transparent mode switches CAN create, modify, and delete VLANs. Which is it?

The whole VLAN chapter in the Exam Cram book goes into alot more detail than the Sybex, so I didn't know alot of the answers. Should I stick to one more than the other? How into detail does the exam get into as far as configuring VTP and VMPS and such?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    CertsPlzCertsPlz Inactive Imported Users Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well recently according to what people are saying and what i got on the exam there was alot of switching and vlan and stp questions so know those switches but make sure u know everything cuz u never know what can come.

i used the sybex and it didnt say that and thats the only book i used if it said that in urs then its a mistake bcuz when in transparent mode u can create and delete vlans but it stays local and they forward vtp advertisements if it has a trunked link, it jus doesnt participate in the vtp domain

i would stick to the one with more detail cuz it can help for the exam and the working world
    formerly badboyziggy
  • Options
    kingsajkingsaj Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is an error in the 4th edition, it is corrected in the 5th

In transparent mode you can add/del/etc vlans, it will also forward vtp updates recieved, however it will only use vlans defined on the switch itself
  • Options
    myk_roquemyk_roque Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes in transparent mode you can add/delete/modify vlans but they will not distribute it as server mode does and as such, they are locally significant.

If you see this in a questions a Server mode will add/delete/modify vlans 'for a vtp domain' that may be a certain keyword you wish to look for so you can distinguish between server and transparent.
    “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something”
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Switches running VTP version 2.....Will forward advertisements that it receives from other switches, while in transparent mode. Everything else stays local.....Other key words when dealing w/ vtp modes are "extended-range vlans". Those can only be done in transparent mode.

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Mr. GrundleMr. Grundle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you sirs.
  • Options
    SVSV Member Posts: 166
    Sybex specifically says that when a switch is in VTP transparent mode that they cannot delete or add vlans because they maintain their own database. One of the Exam Cram questions I got wrong because the answer says that transparent mode switches CAN create, modify, and delete VLANs.

Most propably what the Exam Cram ment was that it can add / delete its own VLAN database but not the domain's , which is done only by the server.

[ VTP transparent network devices do not participate in VTP. A VTP transparent network device does not advertise "its" VLAN configuration and does not synchronize "its" VLAN configuration based on received advertisements. However, in VTP version 2, transparent network devices do forward VTP advertisements that they receive on their trunking LAN interfaces. ]

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_1_12/config/vtp.htm#1020402
    Life is a journey...