How do you guys mix study materials like books and videos?

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
I know a struggled with this during my CCNA Voice, as the video series on INE started to deviate from the order of topics pretty quickly, so I found myself skipping to either different videos to match the chapter I was on, or skipping chapters to match video I was watching.

I eventually got tired of this and either just watched all the videos first then read the book, or read the book first and watched all the videos, but I will be damned if I can remember which order I did this and how I took notes. I believe I watched videos first and took notes, then just read the book without any note taking unless it was something the videos didn't cover.

I assume for CCNP level I'm gonna have to raise the bar of studying and note taking a bit, so was wondering if you guys or gals wanted to share any insight on how you mixed all the materials together.

Comments

• praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm running into a similar issue with studying for the CISSP.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Note: I didn't take notes so my process isn't going to solve that portion.

During my CISSP studies I watched videos first scratch the surface, followed by reading most of the Eric Conrad study guide and then a 5-day bootcamp with flashcard and sunflower studying and nightly quizing using the Mcgraw-hill free quizes based on the domains we reviewed that day to reinforce topics. After the bootcamp I took 2 days to review weak areas before taking the exam.

Videos->book (prolly add in quizing here if not doing bootcamp)->bootcamp/quizes->exam
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Did you take notes for either reading or watching videos? I feel like when I take notes during videos I am pausing the video after every sentence to write the sentence down, and that turns a 30 minute video into 2 hours of note taking, though I did sometimes have to write the information down in my own words and re-watch and re-read it a few times for it to click.

My first hurdle is ROUTE, I have Chris Bryant and INE video series, and ROUTE Simplified as resources to study as of now, and I don't want to get into the above ^ video / note fiasco if there is a more efficient way to go about doing it (especially for this exam).
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't take notes for the videos as I used those as a high-level introduction but when I was reading if there was something that still wasn't sticking (after both the video and the reading) or needed to be memorized then I just ear-marked and highlighted it and kept moving and then I used the few days right before the exam to go through all those ear-marked "weak areas" and drilled those.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    for every 2 hours of a video topic
    1 hour of reading on my own
    1 hour of labs
    1 hour of my own created labs
    1 hour of reading my notes and making questions

I've used a basic strategy like this for a long time. I adapt to the topic at hand, but this is a basic idea. I use to just plow through all the videos, but then I realized I wasn't doing anything.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Note: I didn't take notes so my process isn't going to solve that portion.

During my CISSP studies I watched videos first scratch the surface, followed by reading most of the Eric Conrad study guide and then a 5-day bootcamp with flashcard and sunflower studying and nightly quizing using the Mcgraw-hill free quizes based on the domains we reviewed that day to reinforce topics. After the bootcamp I took 2 days to review weak areas before taking the exam.

Videos->book (prolly add in quizing here if not doing bootcamp)->bootcamp/quizes->exam

Thanks for the helpful info.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    for every 2 hours of a video topic
    1 hour of reading on my own
    1 hour of labs
    1 hour of my own created labs
    1 hour of reading my notes and making questions

I like your approach.

My approach is currently:

read the topic
    takes notes in my own words
    watch the video on the topic after I read it, if not I feel like a deer in headlights
    write notes from the video that only add to my previous notes especially real world tips
    lab the topic shown the video
    try to do it again from memory
    try to write out the steps or cmds from memory and explain to myself whats happening
    read over my notes again
    try to explain the topic from memory, explaining details in my own words
    -if i'm having trouble explaining it I read it over again until I can confidently talk about it
    - which gets me interview ready

Forgot to add write up questions and have someone quiz me. You'd be amazed how much you don't really know something when you are bumbling around trying to explain it.
    That's an interesting approach, topic by topic, thanks for the input I will have to consider that as a possibility. I found Chris Bryant actually posted the videos for the old ROUTE exam in mp3 format on his website, so I can listen to relevant videos during my commute to and from work, on top of videos / reading / labbing.

It does seem his videos for ROUTE are currently outdated though, so I'll have to use INE for my video series, I am hoping the Keith guy teaching it is not as big of a snore as Mark Snow!
    I Watched Keiths ine series. I like it and of course you can expect them to go into detail ine style. Nuggets had me saying 'that's it!?" after I was done with route. My approach was influenced by the ipexpert DC trainer blog post on how he passed the ccie DC lab.
    Cool I appreciate you sharing that, I'm a ways out from beginning formal studies so I can try to enjoy at least some of the summer, but I will see if I can categorize all my study materials into segments or topics.

When you say explaining it from memory, did you have a blog, or how did / who did you explain topics to? I can't even explain what a packet is to anyone I know without their brain exploding.
    Id explain it to myself when initially trying to understand it. Afterwards I write up questions and answers and have someone ask me the questions. If I struggled to explain it I ask them to read what I typed up back to me. Then I make a note to spend more time on that.

You could ask a friend, family member, or significant other to quiz you. My gf would always help me out and say that is not remotely close to what you have as an answer lol
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Keith Barker is awesome. I'm not sure the level of detail he goes into at his new job, but if you watch his video series that are free on youtube you can see he knows his stuff. His BGP and MPLS vides from INE are some of the best I have seen when I was learning those topics. As far as mark snow I like the guy, but he can really drag on. He's out of the teaching game right now. I guess having 4 CCIE's he realized he can make some serious $$$ in the consulting world.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Thanks for sharing the insight, and I am very glad to hear Keith Barker isn't a complete drag to listen to, as he came off a bit awkward or something in the CCNP v 2.0 intro video. If anyone else has anything to add, please keep it coming, I am trying to set myself up now to start studying in the not too distant future - I never imagined it would be difficult to keep myself from studying!
    All I could really add is make a weekly study schedule so you have a plan of attack. Also, when going through the topics I like to go through the blueprint and go down the list. If you can configure or describe the topic cold you should be good to move on to the next topic.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I feel like videos can serve two purposes:

1) Give you an introduction to a topic so that it becomes easier to get into books afterwards.
    2) Something to watch later in your studies to confirm that you've picked up all the important concepts during your studies.

I don't feel like videos can make up the bulk of your study time. They're kind of like a lecture at a university in that sense; you can pass a class without ever going to the lectures, but you probably can't pass a class by just going to the lectures and never opening the textbook.

That's my entirely subjective opinion.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fredrikjj wrote: »

1) Give you an introduction to a topic so that it becomes easier to get into books afterwards.
    2) Something to watch later in your studies to confirm that you've picked up all the important concepts during your studies.

I don't feel like videos can make up the bulk of your study time. They're kind of like a lecture at a university in that sense; you can pass a class without ever going to the lectures, but you probably can't pass a class by just going to the lectures and never opening the textbook.

That's exactly how I felt during my CCNA studies, and it was very effective.

I went topic by topic. Video series lined up well with Wendell Odom books. So I'd watch the relevant videos, then study the chapter.

Once I was done with both video series and book, I'd then go through the video series again, while taking notes. And performing the OCG excercises at the begining and ending of chapters.

About 4-5 practice tests, while reviewing week areas really solidifies everything. Lab is continuous along with videos books and and custom labs implementing all protocols practiced.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fredrikjj wrote: »

I couldn't agree with this more and this is how I operate. I use the videos as an introduction to the concepts I am about to study / read. I take notes during the video to build a foundation. Then I go read to really build up my understanding while also having notes compiled with reading as well. I then later re-watch the videos as review while reviewing my notes taken.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    So for example I have Chris Bryant's slightly outdated ROUTE videos, along with a pass for INE's ROUTE videos as well, along with ROUTE simplified book.

The first subject for ROUTE would be EIGRP. Would you watch both series on EIGRP semi-casually to familiarize yourself with the topics, then read through ROUTE simplified taking notes, then finally labbing until you don't need notes or hints to configure and troubleshoot it - Then move onto the next protocol / subject?

Or perhaps watch Bryant's videos since they are a bit outdated but still probably mostly relevant, start taking some notes during the INE videos, then finish off with more notes and the ROUTE Simplified book along with lots of labbing to reinforce?

I'm sure I could feel my own way through studying and what works for me but I do really appreciate the input of you guys who have been through the grind!
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've used videos and text for CCNA/P Security and CISSP. My method:

1. Watch video and take notes.
    2. Read corresponding chapter while comparing notes from the video.
    3. Take end of chapter/topic practice exams.
    4. Review/modify notes based on quiz results.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    @ande Personally, I would read up on it first and try to make sense of everything on my own. Then afterwards I watch the videos so I can see it in action. Do you really like watching Chris Bryants videos? His ebook was good for the ccna but I could not bear to watch him basically go over the ebook in the video and add little tid bits here and there.

I started watching the INE CCNP Route v2 videos some time ago and IMO I think video wise INE will tell you everything you really need to know. He runs a debug then pulls up wireshark and shows and explains the packet, common how awesome is that.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends a lot on your style of learning.

1. I like to watch a video first taking light notes. I treat it like a classroom lecture. At the same time I'll configure whatever the instructer is configing, and run some show commands to see the effect.

2. I dive into the relevant chapter. I really study this hard. And i lab the topic as much as I have to before going onto the next topic. DO NOT LEAVE QUESTIONS UNANSWERED.

Anything I didnt get with my material and practice, I'll search in Cisco Documentation, Youtube, forums, blogs.

Rinse and Repeat my friend.

Your notes should be so good you don't have to go throuh the book again.

Try mindmaps as well

Watching another video series for review, studying your notes, and labs on the last few weeks should do you well.

A couple of practice exams to identify week points is good.