This is not good news.

Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
So Disney can get away with this crap? Maybe there is more to the story but it is not a good look. It's not like they are going under any time soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html

Comments

• ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    Russell77 wrote: »
    So Disney can get away with this crap? Maybe there is more to the story but it is not a good look. It's not like they are going under any time soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html

Wow, that is ridiculous! I can't say I would have been a good person and trained the people, would've stayed long enough for me to find a new job and rolled out. Then nerve to ask someone that you just fired to stick around for 3 months and train them. I wouldn't trust someone that I just fired to properly hire the replacements anyways, wouldn't most people in that position royally screw it all up?
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Disgusting. icon_mad.gif
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    People on Reddit were like,

"I work there. I will train them wrong on purpose as a joke. You reap what you sow."

Honestly, given that most companies who scrambled to outsource their stuff are now scrambling back, they've only shot themselves in the foot.

Disney is also an absolutely deplorable company in general. At least Walmart are honest about being dicks. Disney hides it behind Walt Disney's face and kids' movies.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is honestly just the beginning of this trend unfortunately. Politicians and corporations have continued to push this kind of legislation and have the audacity to claim it will benefit American workers. Facebook CEO's among many others are leading the charge on this.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My department was looking into outsourcing except no one could do our job any cheaper than we already are doing it...
    LeBroke wrote: »
    People on Reddit were like,

"I work there. I will train them wrong on purpose as a joke. You reap what you sow."

Anytime there is an issue we just turn it off for 60 seconds and then power it back on...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    This is honestly just the beginning of this trend unfortunately. Politicians and corporations have continued to push this kind of legislation and have the audacity to claim it will benefit American workers. Facebook CEO's among many others are leading the charge on this.

Unfortunately true icon_sad.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where does the line stop? After outsourcing IT, what area of employment will they go after next?
  • cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All of them. It's already happening. There was a fastfood chain a couple years ago that moved all its order takers for drive thru to North Dakota to save on labor costs and then when the oil boom hit was talking about moving them offshore.
  • MrPieMan82MrPieMan82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This makes me sick to my stomach. I've heard of this happening before. Something needs to be done to stop this. We're getting screwed from everywhich angle.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Doesn't it make you wonder that Fortune ranks Disney as one of the top 10 most admired companies in the world in their 2015 rankings.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Im not surprise.

How Google, Facebook And Others Pay Their H-1B Employees | TechCrunch

Disney wants to pay cheap labor so they outsource. Also, H1B workers are treated like slaves. Ive heard bad stories about making them work 16hrs a day, holidays and sundays. They get threatened with their visa if they asked for a day off. Both americans and indians are getting fk.

Wait till you see all our politicians passed TPP.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    And people wonder why there is so much hate for H1B employees. I don't blame the people who come over completely (Partially only because they are willing to get paid far less than comparable US workers) as it is completely how our system is set up towards corporations to game the system like this. It's not exclusive to Disney by any means. There should be language in the H1B program that any onsite (even provided by a MSP) work can only use H1B employees if they are unable to find any US worker that is capable and willing to do that job at any rate. I don't know many who would take a 30% pay cut to do the same work that they've been doing for years.
  • MrPieMan82MrPieMan82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And people wonder why there is so much hate for H1B employees. I don't blame the people who come over completely (Partially only because they are willing to get paid far less than comparable US workers) as it is completely how our system is set up towards corporations to game the system like this. It's not exclusive to Disney by any means. There should be language in the H1B program that any onsite (even provided by a MSP) work can only use H1B employees if they are unable to find any US worker that is capable and willing to do that job at any rate. I don't know many who would take a 30% pay cut to do the same work that they've been doing for years.

And it really needs to be a much more strict and enforceable than that. Unfortunately, there's no honesty. It's illegal to discriminate, where I am, based off of somebody being out of work for 6 months or more, but employers still do it.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I can only think this is just to make even more profit... or someone @ the top does not understand the importance of information technology and just see numbers.

First graph is a pretty high graph but it shows they are doing very good. So I'm guessing this is just to make even more $$$.
    10 Year Financial Data of Walt Disney Co (DIS) - GuruFocus.com
    meh
    Honestly, all I can think of is, "guess who's getting hacked next."
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Universe has a way of balancing itself. Cut costs to get cheaper labor, but they shouldn't be surprised when the quality of their infrastructure lags behind. Or worse, risk getting hacked like Sony did. Sucks for those who lost their jobs, but if they were good in what they did, they should have no problem finding work.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I honestly cannot stand this garbage. Sorry to say but many of these foreign workers are no where near as skilled as us Americans, at least in terms of the ones who are taking these visa positions. Cannot stand this garbage.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I honestly cannot stand this garbage. Sorry to say but many of these foreign workers are no where near as skilled as us Americans, at least in terms of the ones who are taking these visa positions. Cannot stand this garbage.

+1 icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    When the shiz hits the fan and things go downhill in the parks, they'll be looking to onshore the work quick enough.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for sharing.

This is exactly why I transitioned into a business centric role and now even moving further away from IT. Hate to break it to you but this is going to continue from everything I have seen. The best companies to purchase are fat in SG&A, chop 30% and now you have a profitable company. Of course you can't lose your business knowledge so that 30% comes from IT and other operational non critical teams.

In fact in my one on one I was warned and even "career coached" to learn more of the business skills and stop focusing on my technical skills. I was told "tech skills can be easily replaced with outsourcing" business skills will allow you to grow within the company. Sadly I really enjoy IT work the most, but I've been burned by this time and time again. I just can't afford to assume so much risk with a family and a mortgage.

Not saying I agree with this or not, but this did come from a senior executive in our department. I found it interesting, not conclusive though. Thankfully there are companies out there that don't believe in this. I just never worked for those types of companies before.
    N2IT, I agree heavily with that and that is why I have been doing the same, becoming more and more involved in the Project/Program Management and business side of things.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Everyone should be aiming to get out of the day to day support arena. It's just too easily off shored.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zxbane wrote: »
    N2IT, I agree heavily with that and that is why I have been doing the same, becoming more and more involved in the Project/Program Management and business side of things.

@Bane - I've got so deep into the business side, I am actually working in a procurement department analyzing total spend on products and creating some forecast and price descrepancy reporting. It's hiliarous just 4 years ago I was managing a asset management, server, desktop team. Now's it's completely different I mean completely. It's absolutely hilarous when a end user has a problem with a application and I come over there (due to my corp IT instincts) and solve their problem. It's a great feeling because you are adding value even though that's not in your job description.

@Networker First of all I couldn't agree more. Remember TV repair man? IMO that's going to be help desk and especially desk side support eventually.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    This is one of those times where I am glad my job requires a security clearance. How sickening...
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    Params7,

I actually noticed that during the debate and was surprised because it contradicts Trumps tone on immigration and bringing jobs back to Americans. I had a feeling a follow up clarification was in line otherwise he would lose a lot of support. He is honestly the only one I've seen take a firm stance on the visa issue and the impact it has on American workers.
  • jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trump doesnt see H1B visas as a problem anymore, I dont see him as a electable candidate anymore.
    With that said, none of the front runners see them as a problem that I'm aware of? Also, jfitzg if you read the link at the top of the page you can see where he clarifies his stance.
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Yeah, no other candidate has talked about H1B exploitation. Its definitely a talking point that I don't see Hilary ever aligning herself with, while Republicans who should be for conservative values usually are swayed by the powerful corporate lobby. Trump seems to be the exception to the rule.
    jfitzg wrote: »
    Trump doesnt see H1B visas as a problem anymore, I dont see him as a electable candidate anymore.

I'm confused. Didn't he just speak out against​ H1B visas and foreign workers?