Do you think I made a mistake jumping right into studying for CCENT?

Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello! You know I have been studying CCENT for a while. Been going slow though, I am just learning the console commands. I have never had networking experience before I studied for this. I heard that a beginner should really get his Network+ before taking on Cisco. I also heard that Cisco kinds of expects you to know these basic things before doing them. I admit I was a bit overwhelmed when I first studied it.

I really think its too late to turn back now personally. Should I just go for my CCENT anyways now? What do you guys think?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I say keep going. You can look over the Net+ and skim any topics you don't know. But I like the idea of jumping right into CCENT. CCENT is ALOT more interesting than the Net+ imo too. Just keep at it, the CCENT is still basic networking...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Forget the N+ cert if you plan on getting Cisco certs. No point in wasting money on both. Learn the basics and push on towards your CCNA. That's where you'll see the return on your investment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    I would skim through the Network+ material at some point, but the cert itself is worthless (in my opinion) if you've got your CCNA.
  • Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forget the N+ cert if you plan on getting Cisco certs. No point in wasting money on both. Learn the basics and push on towards your CCNA. That's where you'll see the return on your investment.

I might just skim through the Network + material a few times to get a hold on things. I am feeling pretty good though about things. I kind of know my way around the CLI some. I know how to reboot the IOS, how to turn on a port and how to change its speed, how to password secure user mode and enabled mode and how to copy the running config to startup config ect. I am excited to learn more actually. :)
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check out Professor Messer's videos on the N+. He drops some good networking knowledge and can fill in that base understanding of how a network operates. No need to grab the N+ cert though if you're already in the CCENT. Just start continue for ICND1 after watching the videos.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the others, keep on for the CCENT.
  • MrPieMan82MrPieMan82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello! You know I have been studying CCENT for a while. Been going slow though, I am just learning the console commands. I have never had networking experience before I studied for this. I heard that a beginner should really get his Network+ before taking on Cisco. I also heard that Cisco kinds of expects you to know these basic things before doing them. I admit I was a bit overwhelmed when I first studied it.

I really think its too late to turn back now personally. Should I just go for my CCENT anyways now? What do you guys think?

If you can get your hands on the official cert book by Wendell Odom or CBT nuggets videos, about a third of the stuff there is about the fundamentals of networking.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are new to networking and cisco my advice is to read through all of the material once even if you don't grasp it all. Then go back a second time and really take in the content.

I have talked to a number of people who give up early on because it is so overwhelming. It makes a lot more sense after you have read the book once and understand where you are going with the information.

I expect that most people would spend more time studying for the Net+ then they would simply struggling through the first read of Odem's book. So in the end it's probably faster to start with CCENT.

Good Luck!
  • Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will try that Jon. I will go through Odom's book once and go back over it again. I have a simulator I have messed around with. I bought a 48 port Catalyst 2950 switch which I need two more of. I am also considering buying some study guide for Odom's book.

Luckly, I have also my dad to help me understand some things. His been a telecommunications technician for over 40 years. Most of the stuff that is in my book he knows and has experience with. He constructs whole sites, slices fiber ect. Once in a while he explains something to me that isn't totally clear. This is getting to be quiet fun. :D
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I had the same doubts when studying for my CCENT and I was so nervous going ahead and taking the exam. I would really recommend carrying on with the CCENT and progressing with your CCNA if you'd like to. I too didn't have any networking experience. I think I would have regretted quitting half way for N+.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skim the network+ material. You might not have to do all, but try to identify the areas you are weak on. Like math, you can't do calculus unless you can do simple addition or subtraction.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I concur with the others. Net+ is a "mile wide and an inch deep" as they say. It primarily introduces you to broad concepts but nothing on the ground level the way CCENT will. I'd recommend studying specific topics in Net+ but not for the exam itself- ie. cable types, WAN technologies just to get an idea because honestly that's all Net+ is going to give you anyway.