ECPI B.S Computer and Information Technology (Network Security), worth it?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
Would this degree: Network Security Bachelor Degree | ECPI University

And some Cisco or Security+ Certs help me get my foot in the door after the military. I also have a security clearance and experience in I.T before the military

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Aren't they a for profit school? If so, are there any other local B&M schools that are accredited, non-profits that you can compare?
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    ECPI is a For-Profit school. While the outcomes of its students are better than many other For-Profit schools, my advice would be to attend non-profit schools so you can get more bang for your buck and have little difficulty transferring your credits. For-Profit schools usually spend more money on recruiting/marketing than they do on student instruction. The HELP committee performed an investigation on For-Profit schools in 2012.

You can read about that here, or you can review the attached PDF documents.

http://www.help.senate.gov/imo/media/for_profit_report/Contents.pdf

I would consider a community college, go for an Associate degree, then transfer to a Non-Profit state school for a Bachelor degree.

Tidewater community college TCC: Tidewater Community College

I promise you that you will get a better Return on Investment by attending a Non-Profit school. Do your research, and choose the school that best meets your needs.

If you're looking for something online, consider the schools on this list:

Online Bachelors Degree Computer Science | Affordable Online Degrees | Best Online Colleges | Best Online Universities | GetEducated.com

Good luck.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Compared to its public non-profit counterparts, it is more expensive to obtain a degree at ECPI. An Associate degree in Computer and Information Science at ECPI costs $36,650 compared to the cost of an Associate degree in Information Systems at Tidewater Community College in Virginia which costs $10,232. ECPI charges $58,550 for a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. The same degree costs $51,912 at the University of Virginia.

The quality of any college's academics is difficult to quantify; however the amount that a school spends on instruction per student compared to other spending is a useful measure. ECPI spent $3,852 per student on instruction in 2009, compared to $1,303 per student on marketing, and $2,271 on profit. The amount that privately held companies examined by the committee spend on instruction ranges from $1,118 to $6,389 per student per year. In contrast, other Virginia based public and non-profit schools spent, on a per student basis, $14,567 at the University of Virginia-main Campus, $3,789 at Tidewater Community College, and $1,957 at Liberty University.

The default rate across all 30 companies examined increased each fiscal year between 2005 and 2008 from 17.1 percent to 22.6 percent. This change represents a 32.6 percent increase over 4 years. ECPI's default rate has similarly increased, growing from 19.7 percent for students entering repayment in 2005 to 23.2 percent for students entering repayment in 2008. ECPI's most recent default rate is slightly higher than the rate for all for-profit colleges.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,