Lab question about ip services on 3356g

ArboledaArboleda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I thought I understood from Cisco literature that WS-C3560g-24ts-e includes an ip services license but many of the models on eBay look like look they run the base image. If I buy an e model that doesn't come the ip services image, and I install the ip services image should the fact that it's an e model mean the ip services license is already installed (but dormant)? Or am I misunderstanding? Thx!

ps - I realize I don't need a G model to get any different experience/practice from the 10/100 model but I have practical use for it...

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    only cisco licenses their software. and only cisco can transfer a license. What that means is no one on ebay is selling a licensed version of cisco software.
    Yes, cisco hardware sold on ebay may, and usually does, come with software installed, but it isn't licensed. And, it is up to the owner of the hardware to get the software properly licensed.
    But, i have never heard of anyone using cisco hardware for educational purposes (like a home lab) ever being pursued for pirateing software. Now, if you are using unlicensed software for your business, expect to hear from a cisco lawyer.
  • ArboledaArboleda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your answer prompted me to go do a lot of reading about the legality of selling/buying used Cisco equipment. I had no idea that in the US, it's apparently illegal to purchase a used Cisco switch and proceed to use it (including the embedded software) without Cisco's written approval. It was also interesting to read that this policy varies by country/region. In Europe, all software licences (including in this case the software on a Cisco switch) are transferable to 3rd parties and Cisco need not be involved. Interesting stuff. I actually hadn't meant to raise a legal or ethical question.

Now, in retrospect, I would have asked my question like this:

If one legally obtains a switch purchased as a WS-C3560-24TS-E and if one legally has rights to run the ip services (enhanced image) license on it, but find it to be running the standard/base image; is getting it to run the enhanced image as simple as installing the enhanced image that includes ip services? I thought that upgrading an image only worked if the license files on the device already reflected prior activation of an enhanced image. I guess I really have two questions:

A - Does an enhanced image only work if the device had previously had an enhanced image activated (somewhat similar to Windows activation) or is this a trust model where simply installing any image works on any compatible device and the licensing is trust-based (rather than enforcement-based)?

B - *IF* the answer to A is that there is an enforcement component built into the switch such that an enhanced image only runs if previously activated, does the "E" (rather than "S") at the end of the model WS-C3560-24TS-E mean that such a switch has already been activated for enhanced image use?
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info on how things work outside of the us.

a) mostly it depends on the version of the ios your running. older ios (pre version 15) it is trust-based. And, on newer ios cisco has gone to a licensing method (you need to have the appropriate licensing code installed for the software to operate).
  • ArboledaArboleda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, that explains why I found conflicting information about activation. Thanks, I think I understand now!