Looking for a little direction

SouthernJourneymanSouthernJourneyman Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just looking for a little guidance on future career plans. I am a veteran and while in the service I worked primarily with radios. I was cross trained on our LAN and also satellite systems. After leaving the service I wandered through various jobs over the years, none in the tech sector since I didn't really have the knowledge base to go into networking. But I am not to happy with the career I am in and have realized I really miss working with all the networking stuff.

So I have a few questions. I am looking at pursuing my CCNA: Routing and Switching and then going into security after that. I plan on using this course at the moment CCNA along with much of the free stuff I have run across here and elsewhere.

What other certifications might I need to pursue? I am thinking it would be good to go after some of the non-vendor specific certs as well. And would it be a good idea to pursue some of the Microsoft/Linux/Os X type certs? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt at all, but I want to focus on what is going to get me in a job, even if it's help desk to start. Which it will likely be.

If it matters I am currently a nurse's assistant and have not touched any sort of network stuff in 5+ years so I have quite a bit of catching up to do.

Thanks
Iz

Comments

• HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    Hey Iz, that sounds like a great start going to the University. The time involved seems to be pretty good compared to some sort of bootcamp where everything is crammed into 6weeks or less course. That 24 week schedule might be long for some or to short for others, but since you don't currently have any other certs for the tech world, it maybe just right for you.

Since it is a University, I'm pretty sure you will have some real equipment to use and practice with. If you do take that course look into when you can practice on the equipment when class isn't going on. The more you become familiar with the equipment the easier it will be at test time doing the simulator.

Which other certs to pursue would depend on what you feel you will have fun using in the field, because we all want to enjoy what we do.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Really, your going to discover what really drives you as a tech once you start to learn more as you go. Completing the CCENT and and CCNA both great certs to have under your belt. Network and Security+ are also worthwhile entry level certifications.

Study what you love doing, particularly with regard to security. I have meet too many folks who struggle in security because there is a "job" in it for them - temporarily. They burn out quickly or are really unhappy with the work load. To really be good you need to accept that really competent security people run out of day before we run out of tweets, articles and news feeds "we really want to get to before bed." That's the real security life. You have more flexibility with development, infrastructure and DBA. So, as I have been known to state in the past: Security is what you do after a career in IT. Its no place to start out as my recent college security grads have realized. Two of the five are already thinking of going into other IT fields. LOL. Yeah! More recruiting!

Follow your interests and the work will feel like play.

-b/eads
  • SouthernJourneymanSouthernJourneyman Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that info Beads. I will definitely keep all that in mind. May just put the security off for a couple of years while I get some networking experience.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    beads wrote: »
    Two of the five are already thinking of going into other IT fields.

I'm guessing you have to have some tough skin to work under Beads icon_wink.gif Chewing up the fresh college grads and spitting them out!
  • LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Study what you love doing, particularly with regard to security. I have meet too many folks who struggle in security because there is a "job" in it for them - temporarily. They burn out quickly or are really unhappy with the work load. To really be good you need to accept that really competent security people run out of day before we run out of tweets, articles and news feeds "we really want to get to before bed." That's the real security life. You have more flexibility with development, infrastructure and DBA. So, as I have been known to state in the past: Security is what you do after a career in IT. Its no place to start out as my recent college security grads have realized. Two of the five are already thinking of going into other IT fields. LOL. Yeah! More recruiting!

This brings up some things that have been on my mind lately, as well. I just recently decided I'd like to pursue security, but there have been a lot of indications that it's just not a field you can treat as a job--it seems to be more of a lifestyle or religion. Recently, one of my friends out west who has been working in security for years was rather stressed from the workload at his new company. And he's always been someone that could handle stress well and didn't mind putting in 12-14 hour days. I'm not as resilient as he is, so it makes me question whether or not I'd thrive in security.

Regardless, I feel one can't go wrong learning at least something about security. It should be beneficial in most any job. I'm just trying to take it slow for now and keep an open mind about what direction to go.

To the OP, I'm in a similar position. I've been out of IT for a very long time. I recently got my first cert a couple days ago and now I'm working on the Cisco track as well. I think the best thing for people like us to do is take it slow, keep an open mind, and see what doors open.
  • SouthernJourneymanSouthernJourneyman Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what I have decided is to apply to WGU and take the network and security program. This would leave me with a degree and several certs. Seems like a win-win.