Starting CCENT/CCNA and need some advice!

JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
Hello all,

I just passed my Security+ exam on last Thursday and am starting my CCENT/CCNA journey and need some advice. I am trying to figure out what the best simulator to use for labbing since I am not in the netacad classes and don't have packet tracer? I did just buy some routers and switches from ebay, three 1841 routers with 15.1 IOS and 2 C2950 switches and have all the cables but honestly not sure where to start with those just yet. I do have the books by Odom and Lamlee to study with and had purchased the full CCENT Network simulator from Pearson that goes along with odom's book but not sure if that will be enough for labs I need to do or not? I also have the video courses from Chris Bryant and INE courses. I was thinking I might start first with reading through Odom's book first and go from there. Any suggestions would be very helpful so I can get started!
Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I think you definitely have everything you need to prepare for the exam. Reading Odom's OCG first and using Lammle's book for review was the strategy I used as well. The CCENT/CCNA Simulator has a lot of great labs that will get you ready for the exam. Some of those labs even go a little bit further than what is required for the exam, so you should be all set.
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Koz, Thank you very much for the advice! I was hoping I would have what I need. I just got the lab in on Saturday and am excited to get it but have no idea how to connect it all up and even start with it yet but I am sure that will come in a little time. I may start reading Odom's book and doing the labs then with the simulator that goes along with it for now.
    Jamesweb wrote: »
    Koz, Thank you very much for the advice! I was hoping I would have what I need. I just got the lab in on Saturday and am excited to get it but have no idea how to connect it all up and even start with it yet but I am sure that will come in a little time. I may start reading Odom's book and doing the labs then with the simulator that goes along with it for now.

A cool strategy to use with the CCENT/CCNA Simulator is to do the labs right after you finish a specific chapter/section, that way you reinforce what you read. Odom built those labs so they go hand-in-hand with the material. Lammle's book also has labs in it but you have to set them up yourself and they're very basic compared to the Odom labs imo.
  • swaingantswaingant Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    A cool strategy to use with the CCENT/CCNA Simulator is to do the labs right after you finish a specific chapter/section.

I like the way you think!!
    But what WHICH book are you referring to?
    is this the one:
    CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide: 9781587143854: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

And just to be clear, This is the LAB:
    CCENT ICND1 100-101 Network Simulator, Download Version | Pearson IT Certification

correct?
    swaingant wrote: »
    I like the way you think!!But what WHICH book are you referring to?is this the one:CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide: 9781587143854: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.comAnd just to be clear, This is the LAB:CCENT ICND1 100-101 Network Simulator, Download Version | Pearson IT Certificationcorrect?
    Yep that's the combo. You can filter the labs by Chapter and IIRC, they start around Chapter 6 and accompany the text the whole way through.If you plan to get your CCNA after you may as well get the whole library + CCNA Simulator

Found here: http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-200-120-Official-Simulator/dp/1587204665/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434071276&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=ccna+virtual+library
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I found that because CCENT covered so much material it was easier for me to watch the videos first then read the book.

Whatever you do be aware that a lot of people become overwhelmed early on and never move on to the next chapter. Make sure whichever approach you take you push on to the end even if you don't understand it the first time. As you get more information it starts to all make more sense.
  • jetb2jetb2 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not to hijack a thread but I have pretty much the same question. I'm reading Odom's book and Lammle's at the same time (well - alternating really) and I'm also doing CBT nuggets.

My question is about Labs. I was looking at the Pearson simulator you're discussing but also looking at the Cisco Labs. Any idea which one is better than the other...and why?

And Boson. Forgot about them

http://www.boson.com/ccent-labs-100-101

So many labs!
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Jon, Which videos did you watch for CCNA? I don't have cbt nuggets, can't really afford that right now but do have the INE and Chris Bryant videos which appear to be good. I have the official cert guide and Lammle's book as well. I have started reading into the 2nd chapter in Odom's book and I see what you mean that it is easy to stop reading and for me sometimes not easy to stay on task with this material. Any suggestions on how to stay motivated at least the first time through the book lol?
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am a big fan of Chris Bryant. I found Lammle to be easier to read but Odom to be more technical. Jon is spot on with the overwhelmed feeling. CCENT is a lot of material. Some people hop from chapter to chapter and read the material for section at the same time (EIGRP in videos, books, etc - then move on); Myself I find it easier to go completely through one material and then go to the next. Staying motivated through Odom is a tough task (for me it was), I made it more manageable by reading it a little at a time instead of pushing through a large section.
  • swaingantswaingant Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »

Hi Koz, thanks for the feedback :]
    but i am a little confused.

i clicked & followed your amazon link.
    So, I understand that it includes two books (for 100-101 & 200-101).

But what material does the "Simulator" cover?

Both Tests?
    or do i still have to purchase the "100-101 Network Simulator" separately?

Sorry for the confusion :/
    swaingant wrote: »
    Hi Koz, thanks for the feedback :]
    but i am a little confused.

i clicked & followed your amazon link.
    So, I understand that it includes two books (for 100-101 & 200-101).

But what material does the "Simulator" cover?

Both Tests?
    or do i still have to purchase the "100-101 Network Simulator" separately?

Sorry for the confusion :/

Yep , the simulator included in the amazon link covers both books/exams. You can filter the labs by Chapter for each book. You don't need to get the CCENT one separately.
  • jetb2jetb2 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I tried replying to this thread but my post has not been approved.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jamesweb wrote: »
    Jon,... Any suggestions on how to stay motivated at least the first time through the book lol?

Unfortunately I don't have any tricks to offer. Some people like to set goal and force themselves to meet them. Like 15 pages a day or a full chapter a day.

I often take brief notes when reading to help me refocus on what I just read. I almost never go back to read the notes. It just keeps me aware of what I read and helps me translate it to something I understand. Be careful with notes they can be a trap too. Especially with videos I feel you should keep them to a bare minimum or you start to loose the point of the video which is to let someone else expose you to the material.