Options

Comptia Salary Info

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
I can't believe Comptia would even post article that would suggest these types of salaries with just those certs. I know they are not directly saying "you'll get x salary with x cert" but they are kind of implying it...

CompTIA Scores Well in Annual Certification Survey

Comments

• Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    Pretty much everyone at my college was looking at those numbers. Was sad (but funny) when they were getting offers for less than half that and complaining about how low IT pays. Because a 1-2 month cert warrants 70k a year....
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, CompTIA is living in fantasy land with those numbers.

Somehow a service technician working at Best Buy for $12 an hour (if that) translates into "CompTIA A+: $79,390."

The only one that even comes close might be "CompTIA Linux+: $72,650." Maybe.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anything with a + after it is like holy water on a vampire to me at least. I omit all of my CompTIA's, I can't go into an interview applying for professional level positions rocking CompTia. It's weird.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CompTIA must be smoking that good stuff to think that's actually true lol.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The stats might even be legit.

Easy explanation: CompTIA certs used to never expire. So now you have a ton of people with 20 years experience, CISSPs, CCIEs and other top-level certs who also hold A+ and Sec+.

Hence, "A+ average salary = $79,000" might not even technically be a lie.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LeBroke:

Maybe they read the 60 years old Book "How to lie with statistics" :D
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, they are probably trying to push this data as factual based on a technicality, hoping people won't do their own research. Very "politician-like" on CompTIA's part. Especially since they are supposed to be a non-profit organization. icon_shaking.gif
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ that's the case of a lot of us here. IT vets, multiple certs all the way from CompTIA to SANS, CCIEs, and other high level stuff making money commensurate with our experience. We are grouped together with the same people who are starting out in IT and just got their A+. Remember that statistical manipulation is a common occurrence in order to support whatever agenda you may have. Ask any political campaign guy, special interest group, etc. The numbers don't lie, but people do.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm so underpaid. Why won't my employer pay me at bare minimum 90K for my S+? :D

This article is pretty ridiculous.

I like this quote:

"So while you probably aren’t going to hit $80,000 your first year out in the field, a big chunk of CompTIA A+ certification holders go on to earn higher-level certifications – and make more money –than they do when holding A+ alone."

LOL, so you're saying they didn't get 80k for their A+ and only got more money when they got more experience and higher level certs? AMAZING!
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A+ and other foundational certifications do get a bit of an upward bump from the fact that many people who hold them have gone on to earn higher-level certs that have more power to increase earning potential,” Clark said.

So while you probably aren’t going to hit $80,000 your first year out in the field, a big chunk of CompTIA A+ certification holders go on to earn higher-level certifications – and make more money –than they do when holding A+ alone.

From the article.
    What they are basically saying is... Those salaries are for people who have A+ or whatever other CompTIA cert but at the same time they hold or go and get other higher certs... but for the purpose of our survey/research we won't mention those other certs because it will not make sense for us to elevate those other certs.

Yes pretty Amazing survey lol.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They are basically showing that the CompTIA certs provide a base level for future earnings. People that take CompTIA exams going on to take other exams and earn more money. Crappy article based on the survey, would have been better if they showed those who had CompTIA certs vs those that didn't. Like the HS Grad vs AS vs BS degree salary showings all over the place.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Sybex Linux+ book (CompTIA approved resource) listed out similar, exaggerated salaries for A+, Network+, and Security+.
    “A+ and other foundational certifications do get a bit of an upward bump from the fact that many people who hold them have gone on to earn higher-level certs that have more power to increase earning potential,” Clark said.

So while you probably aren’t going to hit $80,000 your first year out in the field, a big chunk of CompTIA A+ certification holders go on to earn higher-level certifications – and make more money –than they do when holding A+ alone.

Makes sense, but to me, it seems like they are trying to fool people into assuming that their certs directly equate to the salaries detailed.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna