Options

How active are you in your life? -- Do you work out or train?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Before I took my current position I was about 180 5'9, playing hockey 3 times a week, running, lifting and now between the 12 hour night shifts and school I just can't find the time, more likely that I just can't find the motivation. I've easily gained 20lbs since I switched to the night shift.

Any night shifters here with tips on how to stay motivated/ finding the time? I feel like my life is a constant struggle between working and finding time for sleep!
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For those of you that are still active, do you even have a family to support, especially with toddlers/babies involved? I'm surprised no one has asked how you guys are able to balance life and work while maintaining good health. Studying is already tough enough on top of those.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For those of you that are still active, do you even have a family to support, especially with toddlers/babies involved? I'm surprised no one has asked how you guys are able to balance life and work while maintaining good health. Studying is already tough enough on top of those.

I have a full time job
    i am enrolled in WGU
    i have a part time 20 hours a week job
    i have a two year old

My phone didn't capitalize the I's and I'm too lazy to correct them.

This is how I balance it all.

My main job allows me to work from home on Wednesdays and Fridays
    I get a TON of work done on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays to make up for the lack of work on Wednesdays and Fridays
    My part time job is done on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays while I am at home since it's fully at home
    I study when I go to bed, which is usually from 9ish to midnight, sometimes a little later
    I do crossfit on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 5:30 or 6:30PM
    The rest of the days I hang out with my family
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to be active. I used to play baseball, hockey and basketball competitively. Age, work, and kids ruined all that :) My favorite type of training is boxing training. Shadow box, jump rope, crunches, heavy bag, etc. Good cardio and you get to punch stuff. Talk about a great stress reliever! So much so, I am considering breaking out the old heavy bag again. In the meantime, I recently joined a softball league with some friends, so that should be decent exercise. If I had the time and money, I'd love to play hockey again; ice or roller.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At my last job I had a lot more time to run and bike during lunch. I would run or cycle 4-5 times a week + do minor lifting some nights.

Now I have a new job and a lot more responsibility which leaves me no time to do anything during lunch. it doesn't help that I am a consultant so sometimes during the normal lunch hours I am traveling. I also have 3 kids (The youngest being 1 month old) so all my time at home lately has been dedicated to family.

I am hoping sometime soon to be able to run at night or early mornings 3-4 times a week.

For those of you who are active and working out- Keep it up!
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome! It's great to see TA members work out and keep active. IT is a field that people can work past their 60s, staying active and keeping good health will help you be up there even when you get older. Can't wait to play soccer at the beach, swim, and play racket ball.
    Maybe it is tougher for those who have kids but you guys should involve kids in your training routines. They will learn good habits.

Watched a documentary yesterday, a TED Talk episode and they were saying how the #1 killer in the world is not gun violence or accidents but obesity and the conditions associated with it. Food is important too, very important!
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Any night shifters here with tips on how to stay motivated/ finding the time? I feel like my life is a constant struggle between working and finding time for sleep!

When I worked overnights I used my cubicle as my gym. Did pushups on the floor, squats , dips by grabbing end of desk and heels on my chair, and pulling exercise by laying on floor flat grabbing edge of desk and pulling myself up to my chest.

Motivation is all you. I always followed a policy called no zero days. Doesn't matter if you only did 10 pushups that day it is better than zero.. Learn 1 new thing in my studies still beats zero.. Read 1 page still better than zero. Slowly the amount I did increased more and more and was just a routine at this point.
  • Options
    Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    I play football/soccer twice a week, and run now and then about 3 miles. I am also planning to add some lifting to my schedule.
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.