Options

Best Way to Prepare for CCNA Security

dasmoothridedasmoothride Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
It's been a year since I passed CCNA and I've been thinking about getting CCNA security. I was able to get away with just using Packet Tracer and I think it CCNA Security requires more than PT to pass the test. Therefore, I was wondering, what's the best setup for studying CCNA Security. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    zachkenemerzachkenemer Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's been a year since I passed CCNA and I've been thinking about getting CCNA security. I was able to get away with just using Packet Tracer and I think it CCNA Security requires more than PT to pass the test. Therefore, I was wondering, what's the best setup for studying CCNA Security. Thanks!

I am in a similar situation where I need to recertify my CCNAS. There were some changes made since the last test and it's been about 3 years since my last exam. I know I used PT to practice a lot of things for the CCNAS. I would think the only thing you might need is GNS3 with CCP to practice with CCP and configure VPN's maybe. I used SDM before and I think they are kind of similar, just a new look.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCP, VPNs, practice for port security and setting up AAA, preferably access to an ASA. There is other stuff but I would definitely know those.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't underestimate the power of CCP in CCNA-S :)
    I've read that CCP is a considerable part of the exam. Get some hands on.
  • Options
    LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just took it: Make sure that you know where to get any sort of information out of CCP for the exam relating to firewalls and routing. May help you for sims.

As far as the questions go, I wish I could help you more but its one of those exams where the questions CAN BE somewhat wildly off base from what I studied the first time around, in NetAcad. After failing at Cisco Live! 2015 I retook it and passed.
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • Options
    Mackie09Mackie09 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi!

I've heard that there are really new things added to the exam. Can you guys advise a good study book that covered that new additions...
  • Options
    mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the power of CCP in CCNA-S :)
    I've read that CCP is a considerable part of the exam. Get some hands on.

This is the reason i dislike the CCNA:S. I use ASAs, ACLs and router/switch security practices everyday in my job. I could probably nail all the book knowledge down to a T for this exam but I do not really want to learn how to use a GUI tool when in real life one uses CLI usually 99.9% of time. IF any GUI should be learned I would push the ASDM over CCP....
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mackenzae wrote: »
    This is the reason i dislike the CCNA:S. IF any GUI should be learned I would push the ASDM over CCP....

Been working on ASAs since 2012 and it has been all CLI/ASDM. I only used CCP for the CCNA-S.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS