Options

Linked job referal

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I received my first "linkedin" job offer, out of the blue! The hiring manager and I have worked for two of the same employers and graduated from the same college; which is how he ran across me (he was looking at old coworkers connections).

Its an amazing thing! If you are dragging your feet on cleaning up your linked profile (or making one) get going! I interview on Friday!

Comments

• Options
    doobudoobu Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    thats pretty cool. I have had tons or recruiters send me terrible jobs on there out of the blue, but your situation sounds pretty good
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, that is amazing! Good luck!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    thats pretty cool. I have had tons or recruiters send me terrible jobs on there out of the blue, but your situation sounds pretty good

I believe they work off of keywords and such. Does your profile have anything in common with what they send you? If it does I say to omit or reword whatever it is to eliminate those job offers.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I believe they work off of keywords and such. Does your profile have anything in common with what they send you? If it does I say to omit or reword whatever it is to eliminate those job offers.

Well I have my certs listed, and career experience listed. So they hit on my past Service Desk experience for low level jobs, or see my CCNA and send me anything network related, even if I'm nowhere near qualified
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As a follow up:

The job was definitely a step up from my current job in responsibility, duties, technology and pay but the downside was immense: no shared on call, its all on the person who fills this position. Even for the 20% bump in pay it would have been, I am not willing to be on call 24/7/365. The "IT" manager used to fill this role and re-assured me its not that bad "maybe 3 calls a year since I have been here" but I honestly don't know this guy and cant trust him.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I can almost hear the conversation a few months down the road... "no --chris--, what I said was maybe 3 calls per day since I've been here".
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    --chris-- wrote: »
    The "IT" manager used to fill this role and re-assured me its not that bad "maybe 3 calls a year since I have been here" but I honestly don't know this guy and cant trust him.

Or maybe you can trust him Chris. Just maybe :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good call, Chris!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....