Options

Review my Resume please

ProFamousProFamous Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, looking for a first IT job and making a resume. I am only 17 and have only had one other job that is not IT, so I need help. The job I am applying for is a computer repair store. I have taken out my name/address/etc for obvious reasons. Thanks!https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PQjYzGNJXSvN0oO4LqGSkLcEwPXyXKrjnGIJYfPKGfQ/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: updated resume: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L5R9-5KrUIg-btD7bLQHfRpl9uLgL55CX49CtMI3QOU/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The giant red bar is hideous and serves no purpose.

Your resume should begin with a professional summary. There are many good examples of this on the forums if you do a search. Plenty of documentation and resume templates as well.

You really need to expand upon your experience. As it stands, I don't have much of an idea of your duties, proficiencies, and accomplishments.

The skills section should be integrated into the professional summary and professional experience sections.

Are you still in high school or have you graduated already? Are you beginning college immediately?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    The giant red bar is hideous and serves no purpose.

Agreed.
    (or maybe i'm just OLD SCHOOL).

Also, i don't think you should list the Net+ cert BEFORE you've actually earned it.

Other than that... i like it. Not bad for a Highschool Senior?

EDIT,
    Oh, Traditionally, There is some kind of 1-2 sentence Summary statement that you STart your resume off with.
    Then, you can Move-up your 'Skills' section.

But hey... it's mainly subjective. You go with what you want :]
  • Options
    ProFamousProFamous Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I added a summary statement to the beginning, and used a different format without the hideous red bar. I also added my current GPA from high school. And @volfkhat, i would typically agree with you on your point of adding the Net+ before actually earning it, however being in high school and with very limited qualifications I think that it does show initiative. Just my thought. I have added my updated resume.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I understand that with you still being in high school, it's very difficult to compose a professional resume. My best advice is to expand upon your professional and personal experience as much as possible, especially as it relates to whatever type of IT position you are interested in. (helpdesk, networking, systems, security, etc)

Due to your limited experience, you really need to maintain a single page resume. Two pages is excessive.

Looks much better without the red bar.

The Objective section should be replaced with a competent professional summary. Objective sections are redundant and serve little purpose. I will link you to a document regarding how to write a professional summary. Google is also a good resource on this.

Within your experience section, your job should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this. I will link you to a resume that's a great example on how to format and write this properly.

Regarding your skills section, did you learn any of this while on the job? If so, you should definitely move that to the experience section. Again, you want to expand upon your experience as much as possible. Try to sit down and brainstorm on a piece of paper everything that you have worked with and accomplished on the job as it relates to IT. Then find a way to incorporate that into the experience section. Take a look at the links below. Also, try to find a way to incorporate the data into your "Independent Computer Repair" position. Expand on this stuff as much as possible.

"Multiple aspects of building maintenance including janitorial, lawn care, and general assistance." Remove this line. Are you looking to land an IT job or a job as a janitor. This doesn't help you at all.

I agree that you need to remove the Network+ cert until you actually pass the exam. You can mention in the interview that you are studying for it, but it doesn't belong on your resume at this time.

Education should be listed before certifications.

For the university degree, list the actual degree that you will be pursuing, and the anticipated year of graduation.
    For example: Bachelor of Science - Information Technology ......................... Fall 2019 (expected)

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

Here's a document regarding the "STAR Method" of writing resume content. You may want to take a look at it and see if it helps you.

http://www.filedropper.com/starmethod

Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)