Options

BSIT vs. Bachelors of Science in Information System Security

Juicy JonJuicy Jon Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Posting on here for some advice. Currently I have a good entry level IT job through self teaching and certificates. I am going to be going to Grantham University to pursue my bachelors (even if you say I do not need it, it has always been a personal goal of mine and will not hurt to get.)

One of the main reasons for me to chose Grantham is that I have 30 credits that will transfer over flawlessly to either 2 degrees.

Now the dilemma is do I want to pursue my BSIT OR Bachelors Information System Security?

I LOVE the networking side of IT and have always been intrigued by programming (I have taken a few classes) also I love the security side as well especially when tied into networking.

I just do not know what to go for. I am just worried that when employers see a BS in Information Systems Security (AKA Cyber Security) they will think that is all I know how to do.

If you are going to criticize me please do it constructively.

I do prefer the security side but I want to make sure this will help me and employers won't specifically see it as JUST security. I would love advice from anyone in the security field.

TIA
BSIT Course

Information System Security

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a BSIT with a concentration in security and I recommend you go with the sec course. Both courses offer the same fundamentals classes like intro to programming, Java programming, C programming, and C++ programming. From my point of view, the security course will apply to a broader base allowing you more choices in the future.

Regards,.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I was under the impression all the degrees have BSIT printed on them regardless of specialization.

The BSIT should allow for faster completion, given it doesn't have some of the deeper courses/certs. I plan to pursue this one.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I was under the impression all the degrees have BSIT printed on them regardless of specialization.

You might be thinking of WGU, but that isn't accurate anymore either. I finished there a year or so ago and mine specifies security on the diploma.

Juicy Jon, any reason why you're set on a for profit school?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Ah, I know at one point that wasn't the case. Use to be a common topic around here.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Juicy Jon,

As a graduate of a For-Profit school, I would like to caution you and urge you to consider non-profit alternatives before you enroll at this school. While I don't have any information to provide on Grantham University, I do have a wealth of information on the For-Profit sector. I would generally advise you not to attend a school in the For-Profit sector because most of the companies spend far less on instruction and far more on advertising/recruiting and "Profit" than their Non-Profit counterparts.

According to this: Grantham is "Nationally accredited" Financial Aid Accreditation and Certification | Grantham.edu

Personally, I know the pain of earning a Degree from a "Nationally" accredited Institution. I earned my Associate from ITT Tech. Most colleges (except other For-Profits) will not recognize your degree or credits. This can be a very big problem if you intend to continue your education somewhere else. This can also be a very expensive endeavor if you do decide to continue your education at another For-Profit school.

Due to my lackluster experience with ITT Tech, I decided that I wanted to continue my education else where after graduating with an Associates and I quickly discovered that my credits were useless and would not transfer elsewhere.

The additional $25,000 to earn an Associate degree did not offer me any competitive advantage in the marketplace competing against others with Associate degrees from a Community College, and not only that, I could not transfer my credits! I had to start all over again, and because of this, I did not earn my Bachelor degree until I was 27 years old.

Please see here for information about the difference between Regional and National accreditation: National Accreditation or Regional Accreditation

You might consider reading the reviews from other students before enrolling...I wish I had consulted other ITT Tech students before enrolling...

Ripoff Report | Grantham University Complaint Review Slidell, Louisiana: 160917

Grantham University Reviews - Online Degree Reviews

I'm also attaching the Senate Help Committee's investigation on the For-Profit college sector for your review. Alternatively, you may read the report here:

http://www.help.senate.gov/imo/media/for_profit_report/Contents.pdf

Please do yourself a favor, and consider Non-Profit Regionally accredited programs. Do your research and decide on the best option for yourself.

Consider the programs on this list:

Online Bachelors Degree Computer Science | Affordable Online Degrees | Best Online Colleges | Best Online Universities | GetEducated.com
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have no issues with how you have framed your argument. This is an example of how to do it folks. No blanket statements, backed up with facts and statements based on personal experience but no generalizations. I like it.

Even though I attend a FP college I don't deny that NFP colleges may be a better option for many students.
  • Options
    TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Juicy Jon,

As a graduate of a For-Profit school, I would like to caution you and urge you to consider non-profit alternatives before you enroll at this school.

Quoted for truth.

National vs Regional accreditation was confusing for me when I first looked into it... You would think that 'National' is better, not so.

Read this from elearners.com(What is College Accreditation - Regional Acceditation vs National Accreditation):
    Transfer-ability of Credits
    While nationally accredited institutions will usually accept credit from regionally or nationally accredited institutions, regionally accredited schools often do not accept credit from nationally accredited institutions.Considering that state colleges and universities are all regionally accredited, and that state schools are an inexpensive local option for many students, this is definitely something to keep in mind.
    - See more at: What is College Accreditation - Regional Acceditation vs National Accreditation
  • Options
    Juicy JonJuicy Jon Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, sorry to take so long to reply on this. Since I posted this I have already decided not to do Grantham. I was under the impression they were a regionally accredited school.

I have sent my transcripts to WGU as of 6/16/15and waiting for them to receive the one that had to be sent in the mail.

I will be going for my BSIT -SECURITY at WGU. I hope they do emphasize C++ and programming in their course I heard that matters a lot. I also hope they have good tools and labs for it also.

I am NOT very intimated with programming as I have done a few basic classes in college but I am a little intimidated by C++.

Thanks everryone!