How to use CompTIA A+ cert in post nominals (ie: PhD, CSC, MCAT etc)

ThreePeakSolutionsThreePeakSolutions Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
And no, I'm not talking about putting it beside my name all over the place. But for specific applications, is it really just "A+" tacked on after your name? Without other certs beside it, on its own, you look like a kid saying that your super special lol. Especially if someone doesn't know specifically what A+ is. The certificate lists "A+ ce". Not as the post nominals, but just as your accomplishment. Exactly as written, with a space between the A and the ce. Does removing the space look better? Firstname lastname A+ce ? Or first last A+?

Comments

• techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never seen it typed next to a name, however I've seen the A+ badge near a name. That's what I'd suggest otherwise A+. I think it's only to market yourself to easily convinced targets. Most HR I think would see through it and probably toss it. Where I've seen it, often in repair shops, I've asked if they had or are pursuing other certs but it didn't have any other appeal to me.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I have never run into anyone using the A+ with their name, even back fifteen+ years ago when it was new and cool to have. I have seen folks include the appropriate A+ logo under their credential / education headings, but not as much any more as most have higher level certs and drop off their first certs or certs that do not apply to their job.

I do understand it is exciting to have that first cert, but I cannot think of a situation where I would encourage someone to write their name with A+ afterward (like a PhD) or any form of A+, let alone any other IT Cert. If you are putting a business card together or something, follow the logo guidelines, but aside from a list or logo in an appropriate form, I would avoid adding the letters behind my name. YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ThreePeakSolutionsThreePeakSolutions Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I absolutely get what you both are saying. And it's definitely something to be used with restraint. It's like somebody putting their high school diploma as a title or lead achievement. It may be true, it may be a milestone, but unless your right out of school, or don't have thing else that supercedes that "degree", most would tend to drop it as an explicit mention or achievement.

Having said that, the one takeaway that seems to be universal: Don't do it when dealing with other IT or tech knowledgeable people. You may get ridiculed. On the flip side, I just got hired for a side job helping a family with a multitude of PC related tasks, simply because the "A+ certified" apparently made me stand out from other suitors. And I quote: "Your the first one of them that actually has professional credentials or education". Did they have a clue what it meant? Not a chance in hell! And let's be honest, the only people who would know exactly what it is or what it meant/entailed....they are NOT the ones that need your services. So going back to the original post, in those instances when it is actually appropriate, what is the lesser of evils for post nominals and CompTIA A+
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @3peak,

You are completely free to do as you wish, and from your posts, you seem already determined to use this credential as a tag to your name. I would advise the next time you wish to disregard advice from the members to simply do as you please, just tell us up front that despite our experiences you are going to do the thing you are questioning regardless of our answers.

Good luck to you, and may you not get in your own way up the ladder.
    PW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • xD LucasxD Lucas Member Posts: 107
    I, personally, don't think you should use it. I'm having a hard time comparing A+ to that of RN or PhD. A+ is an accomplishment, but leave it at that. It doesn't justify any post nominals.
    2015 Objectives: MTA: 98-349 ✔ → CompTIA A+ → CompTIA Network+ CompTIA Security+
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Many IT professionals drop the A+ from their resumes after they begin to obtain more advanced, vendor-specific certs such as MCSA, MSCE, CCNA, and VCP-DCV. Make of that what you will.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • shortygirlshortygirl Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Many IT professionals drop the A+ from their resumes after they begin to obtain more advanced, vendor-specific certs such as MCSA, MSCE, CCNA, and VCP-DCV. Make of that what you will.

Yep, exactly.

To go further, I almost always advise peers to not take the A+ if they're already in IT, as it doesn't mean much past that first helpdesk job. I am only pursuing it now because I'll get college credit for having passed it.

And that "not being relevant" thing is also why we're suggesting to not bother putting it next to your name.
    IT Consultant / Pursuing: AAS in DB Management & Admin (2015-2017)
    CompTIA A+ 801 [ ] 802 [X], Net+ [ ], Proj+ [ ], AXELOS ITIL V3 [X], PMI CAPM [ ]
    Microsoft - MTA 98-364 [X], MCSA 70-461 [ ] 70-462 [ ] 70-463 [ ], MCSE 70-466 [ ] 70-467 [ ]
    Oracle DBA - OCA IZ0-051 [ ] IZO-052 [ ], OCP IZ0-053 [ ]
    Connect with me on Twitter or LinkedIn