Options

Transition from CompTIA to Cisco

massive_array_attackmassive_array_attack Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all!

I recently completed my CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+ these couple months. I want to know how hard is CCNA compared to the CompTIA Trio. I passed all 3 first try, using only Professor Messer & CompTIA CertMaster.

Also by using CBT Nuggets (Videos) and Boson Courseware Complete (Boson's Curriculum, Lab Guide, NetSim Network Simulator, ExSim-Max Practice Exam) would be enough for CCNA and CCNA Security? icon_arrow.gif

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forum, massive_array_attack. I am about to start studying for those certs in a few months and in my searches I haven't seen mention of people using the resources you've asked about. Now, to be honest, I am curious as to whether to add any of them to my study arsenal or not.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I passed my ICND1 about a month ago and i'm on towards my studies for ICND2. I wouldn't say the Cisco exams are massively difficult especially if you have the background knowledge from the CompTia exams alright. Just go for it man, everyone hits ups and downs in their studying! Power through!
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^ What he said. I used CBT nuggets, Todd Lammle's book, and the Boson practice exams. I found the boson exams to be way harder than the actual ICND1 exam. I was constantly bombing the Boson exams, said "screw it" and took my ICND1 yesterday, and passed. Having only completed Sec +, I can't comment on how similar COMPTIA exams are to Cisco ones. Just study, take practice exams, SUBNET constantly, and take the exam.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information everyone.

stryder144, the CompTIA Certmaster package came with 2 vouchers for around $250 with the training program, which was a good deal for me in case I failed the first try, which would cost me $400 total cost for a retake

You can find the training package from the offical CompTIA online Store. Also Professor Messer was free on YouTube (I put it on repeat for 50-100 hours, brainwashing).
  • Options
    kendr1ckkendr1ck Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have the core networking principals down from your CompTIA studies, than CCNA is mostly just learning the Cisco-specific implementations of things and learning their command line. It's definitely much easier to grasp when you have that background knowledge though.
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need a textbook...You'd be amazed how many people try to passs certs without reading a textbook...
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the info!

Passed the Cisco CCENT with 815/1000 icon_silent.gif Danger zone! Passed on the first try but very discouraged with the score/study ratio!!

I used Jeremy (CBT Nuggets) Odom Book ICND1 100-101 (Cisco Press) Boson ExMaxSim (https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/groups/boson-learning-partner-lounge) and (Packet-Tracer)

I also brought an Cisco 877W to replace my home DSL dialer/Wireless/Router combo (Fully running but the wireless glitchy) *Sep 19 03:39:53.771: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station 74e2.f541.f36e Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid SSID

Studied about 10 hours a day, for 6-7 days per week since August. Not sure if I can pass ICND2 with an another 815 since its 825 for passing icon_silent.gif