Options

Resume for Helpdesk Technician or Computer Repair

DoselDosel Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
http://1drv.ms/1J5l8gX

There is my Resume. What Can I do to improve it? I have 8 months of non computer repair expiereince and cannot get a job as an entry level help desk technician. I applied at geeksquad from desperation and the lady told me "we hope you get the job, you have more qualifications than any of us". From what I here its really more of a 12$ an hour sales job instead of an honest, real technician job which is what I want.

The file is open for everyone to edit. Do what you must brethren.

Comments

• Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You really should remove personal information, especially the references.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dosel wrote: »
    http://1drv.ms/1J5l8gX

There is my Resume. What Can I do to improve it? I have 8 months of non computer repair expiereince and cannot get a job as an entry level help desk technician. I applied at geeksquad from desperation and the lady told me "we hope you get the job, you have more qualifications than any of us". From what I here its really more of a 12$ an hour sales job instead of an honest, real technician job which is what I want.

The file is open for everyone to edit. Do what you must brethren.

Remove your LinkedIn profile link.
    Remove the Awards section.
    Remove the table formatting
    Remove the borders
    Put your experience at the top and skills at the bottom.
    Resume needs work.
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What everyone else said about PII...

As for more resume content... what about finding local non-profits to volunteer with that may need IT support? Churches, charitable organizations, service organizations, etc. Lots of groups that fit these profiles have a need for basic IT infrastructure, but lack the resources to support them.
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree, you really need to scrub your PII immediately and then re-upload. I also highly recommend that you get this resume down to a single page. Two pages is excessive based on your experience level.

The objective section needs to be replaced with a competent professional summary.

The skills and abilities section needs to be integrated into the experience section and then removed.

The experience section needs to begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Also, the information within this section is overly brief and doesn't give me a good impression of your experiences and capabilities.

Drop the Personal and References sections. They serve no purpose. If the hiring manager wants references, they will ask for them and you will provide them separately.

Please do a search on the forums for past resume reviews. I often provide lengthy critiques and link to "golden standard" IT resume templates and resume writing documentation. Lots of good info on these forums.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Hey Matty, not a good idea to share your address and phone # with the world...
    meh
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    condense to one page... get rid of references.