Options

The most valuable skills and certifications for a Network Engineer

SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
Hi all,

I am currently studying for my CCNA and have achieved my CCENT. I am looking at forward planning and i'd like to know what's the best certs to know? Should I be looking at VM? Broaden my knowledge and look at MCSAs? More Cisco? Juniper? Readhat?

So many questions!

Thanks for your time.

~Simrid
Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle

Comments

• Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The title does not mean much, a Network Engineer one place could have very different responsibilities to another. From a ISP perspective it would be the Cisco track up to CCNP with experience with python scripting/automation.

Saying that, the most knowledgeable network engineers I know have experience all over the place. I'd say knowing the skills for both internal IT network support for medium businesses matched with carrier knowledge from an ISP and your gonna know your stuff.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Just as kai said depends on the company's requirements. I would do baby steps like first look at what they require for someone in the noc. Then tier 2 and then worry about engineering. That being said they want ccna with knowledge of Windows Unix sometimes. Some requirements say you need experience. Most requirements are exaggerations so apply anyways. What matters most is what you know and can talk about in the interviews. Having a ccna might get you the interviews but actually knowing the material is what matters. So pay careful attention to the details and be able to answer questions confidently and with limited hesitation.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Just a fyi had interview yesterday for an engineer job. They asked for mpls knowledge, cloud computing knowledge, switching on hp Cisco and juniper, vpn knowledge, firewall and routing on Cisco and Dell routers. On top of all this they wanted me to know the ins and outs of voip. Hope my replies help.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just as I was replying to this I rcvd an email from a recruiter about a Network Engineer role that has the following requirements:

- 4 – 5 years of experience with the install, config and administration of Cisco Route / Switch technology.
    - Install, config and administration experience with Cisco ISR Routers ( 2900 / 3900 ) and Cisco 3750 / 4500 catalyst switches.
    - Ability to configure VLANs, trunks and WAN ports.
    - Routing protocol experience, specifically with EIGRP.

To echo what others have said, it just depends on the company. CCNP/CCIP was desired when I worked in configurations/migrations years ago, but the manager didn't have a CCNA and knew his stuff more than any of us.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS