Options

CISSP aspirant - Guidance needed

sania91sania91 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am an electronic engineering graduate. I have been working in an ISP as ISO27001 implementer and auditor for 2.5 years. I have passed IRCA LA exam last year and hoping to clear CISSP this year. I have a few questions:

1. As per my understanding CISSP exam may be taken any time of the year?
2. After registration I will have 3 attempts to clear the exam?
3. I don't have to be an IT related grad to pass the exam?
4. Shon Harris 6th edition is the latest one?
5. Please post links of other relevant study sources

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. To answer some of your questions:
    - You can take it any day that the testing center has an opening
    - Anyone who pays can take the exam. If you don't meet the experience requirement you'll have up to 6 years to gain it.
    - Harris (6th ed.) and the Conrad books are good resources

Your best bet is to search here for the "Passed CISSP" threads to see what others did.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You must have 5 years of experience in at least 2 of the domains covered in the CISSP. One year can be waved if you hold a degree. With the information you have given right now you lack the required experience unless you were working in an IT Security role prior to your 2.5 years. You can take the exam but you won't be recognized as a full CISSP until you complete the experience requirements.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 2.5 years in an audit role should count. You would still be required to start off as an Associate, but I believe if you stay in your current role for another 1.5 years you would then become a full CISSP.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sania91 wrote: »
    I am an electronic engineering graduate. I have been working in an ISP as ISO27001 implementer and auditor for 2.5 years. I have passed IRCA LA exam last year and hoping to clear CISSP this year. I have a few questions:

1. As per my understanding CISSP exam may be taken any time of the year?
    2. After registration I will have 3 attempts to clear the exam?
    3. I don't have to be an IT related grad to pass the exam?
    4. Shon Harris 6th edition is the latest one?
    5. Please post links of other relevant study sources

Welcome..

Reply to those questions..

1. As per my understanding CISSP exam may be taken any time of the year? Yes..Its an online exam (CBT), but you should check about the seat availability. Sometimes, the seats would be reserved even 1 month before..
    2. After registration I will have 3 attempts to clear the exam? -

Candidates are eligible to sit for (ISC)² computer-based exams for a maximum of 3 times within the same calendar year.
    Once a passing score is obtained, exam re-takes are not allowed.
    The first time a candidate does not pass the exam for any (ISC)² certification except CCFP or HCISPP, they will be able to retest after 30 days. The first time a candidate does not pass the CCFP or HCISPP exam, they will be able to retest after 90 days.
    The second time a candidate does not pass the exam for any (ISC)² certification, they will need to wait 90 days prior to sitting for the exam again.
    The third time a candiate does not pass the exam for any (ISC)² certification, the next available time to sit for the exam will be 180 days after the most recent exam attempt.
    After the fourth attempt, the retake wait time resets starting again with a 30-day waiting period.

3. I don't have to be an IT related grad to pass the exam? No
    4. Shon Harris 6th edition is the latest one? Yes the latest and the last..But there is a change in the domains..but core concepts remain the same
    5. Please post links of other relevant study sources - Use this forum to find the posts by successful people.. Use cccure exam engine for your practice..Read Shon Harris book..Read CBK...

I am not discouraging you..But for the exam, experience really matters....To overcome that, you should prepare very well..If you are ready to hard work anything is possible..All the best..
  • Options
    sania91sania91 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for your replies.

I have registered on cccure.org but the quiz section doesn't show up any information. Can someone please post the link to practice questions?

Also is there a fee for subsequent attempts?
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As stated above you do not yet qualify for the CISSP but you do qualify for the Associate of the ISC or SSCP exam. The CISSP is considered to be a mid career level exam not an entry level exam as you appear to be confusing one for another.

The exam fee is per exam attempt.

You will need to submit an application to the ISC proving you have the equivalent of five (5) years of security experience before you are able to register for the exam. Sign the code of ethics and after successfully passing the written exam have a current in good standing member of the ISC(2) - usually a CISSP - sign off on your resume for final approval.

I will state this quite clearly. If you were to come to me and ask for an endorsement I would not only not sign-off on your credentials but would further report your actions to the ISC(2) as fraudulent and ask that your candidacy be barred from the program in order to maintain an inkling of certification integrity in the program.

And I have done so in the past without regret.

- b/eads
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @b/eads

I think you should report sania in advance to prevent the fraud. Stop things before they happen like in Minority Report lol.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Beads, our official precog. I just hope he doesn't sleep in that amniotic liquid.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Had someone approach me last week, out of the blue on LinkedIn. No security background on the resume no IT background but was happy to tell me how this individual created a "compelling story" for the (ISC)2. All they needed now was a sign-off.

Oh lucky day!

- b/eads
  • Options
    Abhishek a.k.a BlackshielAbhishek a.k.a Blackshiel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    Had someone approach me last week, out of the blue on LinkedIn. No security background on the resume no IT background but was happy to tell me how this individual created a "compelling story" for the (ISC)2. All they needed now was a sign-off.

Oh lucky day!

- b/eads

Duuude you're scaring mee icon_sad.gif