Troubles getting started off!

Lando1Lando1 Posts: 5Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All - This is my first post! I work in software development and design currently and wanted to move into networking, I enjoy the configuration and different protocols involved with it. I decided to take the CCENT/CCNA and with a lot of hard studying I passed last month :)

I am really lost on some next steps, my goal was to keep my current job for a bit and try and get a after hours or weekend job as an apprentice gaining some hands on experience for my resume but it looks like everything is "fulltime only" in my area.

At some point I will need to make a jump into something fulltime. I understand that it will be entry level. I did work in college (I have a BFA) as Mac desktop support for 3yrs but it's been nearly 10yrs since that. Is the CCNA enough for entry level, should I focus on some other preliminary certs? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb They are watching you Posts: 3,263Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lando1 wrote: »
    try and get a after hours or weekend job as an apprentice gaining some hands on experience for my resume but it looks like everything is "fulltime only" in my area.

    CCNA is enough, also finding a position like your looking for right now sounds it would extremely hard to find. It is hard enough to find an entry level networking positions...
    GCIH | CCNA:Sec | Net+/Sec+/A+ | CCSK
    Goals in progress: MSc in Computer Science (specializing in Cyber Ops) , CISSP
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    @ OP I like the idea of landing a off shift type position in conjunction with your development job, until you get off of your feet.
  • MowMow Posts: 445Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you program from home or in an office? If in an office, see if you can assist the internal IT guys when they are doing thing. Try to take on more responsibilities at your own job. Also, you can try elance or other temp jobs. Sometimes there are weekend things posted. Maybe do some volunteer work, or talk to some small businesses, build up a social network of local places that know you are looking for side work, and do some stuff on your own.


    Edited for typos.
  • Lando1Lando1 Posts: 5Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is hard enough to find an entry level networking positions...

    Should I be looking for a different entry position to get started?
  • Lando1Lando1 Posts: 5Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mow wrote: »
    Do you program from home or in an office? If in an office, see if you can assist the internal IT guys when they are doing thing. Try to take on more responsibilities at your own job. Also, you can try elance or other temp jobs. Sometimes there are weekend things posted. Maybe do some volunteer work, or talk to some small businesses, build up a social network of local places that know you are looking for side work, and do some stuff on your own.


    Edited for typos.


    Im in a large office. The culture in my company is very "siloed" for lack of better words. I would need to tread lightly with trying to assist with anything other then what they pay me to do, but starting some conversations would be a good start. I also like volunteer work suggestion. thanks
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Posts: 973Member
    Do you like programming? Have you considered going for a cisco Network Programmability certification?
    meh
  • Lando1Lando1 Posts: 5Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Do you like programming? Have you considered going for a cisco Network Programmability certification?

    I have not, Im honestly tired of it. I enjoy the hardware aspect of networking too, thats one of the reasons that it drew me in.
Sign In or Register to comment.