Options

How do you determine your worth? How do determine your salary expectations?

I understand there are a lot of variables in the equation based on your education, certifications, experience, and the responsibilities of the position.

Personally, I've referenced sites like Glassdoor and Salary.com but living in a State like Kentucky, the Salaries are usually on the low end of the scale (below National average).

This is the second job offer I've accepted in the past two years (each time with a 20%+ increase) but I think that I could have probably asked for more each time.

Just curious about your process when determining your salary requirements for a position.
Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I understand there are a lot of variables in the equation based on your education, certifications, experience, and the responsibilities of the position.

Personally, I've referenced sites like Glassdoor and Salary.com but living in a State like Kentucky, the Salaries are usually on the low end of the scale (below National average).

This is the second job offer I've accepted in the past two years (each time with a 20%+ increase) but I think that I could have probably asked for more each time.

Just curious about your process when determining your salary requirements for a position.

I look at the salary range that other companies have posted for the same position. Then include all the other variables you mentioned. If you don't mind, what is the salary you accepted? You can give a range if you don't feel comfortable posting the number lol but saying 20% doesn't give much information.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As others stated, through research, comparing similar job postings in the area (unfortunately, most of the postings hide the salary info), your past salaries, asking other IT professionals in confidence, etc. As you have discovered, salary averages can vary wildly from area to area.

It's always a chore, but it really takes some homework sometimes to come up with a suitable figure.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is definitely one art I have yet to have mastered. I typically aim for at least a 10k raise each time I leave.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff