Options

Maximum Cable lengths Serial/Parallel

mattblack_uk2002mattblack_uk2002 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anybody tell me what the maximum cable lengths of Serial and Parallel cables are supposed to be.

I've been cross referencing various training books and the serial cable seems to be 25ft or 50ft depending on which one you read

The parallel cable seems to be either 6ft, or 10ft, or 16ft depending on which book you read.

I'd hate to get the question wrong in the exam due to incorrect information in the training guides.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    from "Pocket PCREF" Thomas Glover & Millie Young

IEEE 1394 = 14'
    Parallel
    Standard = 6'
    ECC = 30'
    EPP = 30'
    USB = 15'

EMI can interfer if you cable is not sheilded and you may not reach the max recommend length. However, you may be able to exceed it too. I've used IEEE1284 cables in offices 50-100' and still had success with the printers. This wasn't with current laser printers as those can be networked and resolve that issue, but back when print-servers or NIC on printers weren't standard around the office, the simplest fix was to use a longer cable.

You may find this of some use:
    http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/iec/05DTLNGHLMT1.html
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?