Question for employers of network administrators regarding CCNA exam pass

PheonyxPheonyx Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I was talking to a friend of mine who has been working as a network engineer for a year now after getting his CCNA, and he told me that employers look at the way you passed your exam. He said if you split the ICDN1 and 2 and pass it that way that its looked down upon in comparison to passing it all in 1 go.

I'm very suspicious that its a bunch of bull, but I wanted to get on here and ask some seniors who have been in the field for along time and perhaps they can tell it like it truly is. Shouldn't we be given credit where credit is due regardless of how we came to get certified? I find it less stressful and far more relaxing to be able to split them in half and truly retain all the information/theory/exercises. It's more stressful for me personally to slam these two giant books, and retain everything from both books and pass a test that will cover all subject topics.

Anyways, appreciate any insight anyone can give me :) thank you!

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes it's a bunch of bull. No employer is going to look down on someone taking the 2 exam route. That question won't be asked in an interview. What I would focus on though is knowing every single topic in the CCNA blueprint like the back of my hand. The test doesn't test you on every single topic, but a potential employer might!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I"m not an employer but that is the first time I have even heard that expressed.
    I think you should just get your cert and be happy.

Good Luck!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I want to go on record saying how stupid this sounds. I fail to see how those taking twice the number of questions are somehow looked down upon. Simple logic that your friend fails to comprehend.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I want to go on record saying how stupid this sounds. I fail to see how those taking twice the number of questions are somehow looked down upon. Simple logic that your friend fails to comprehend.

Yes good point. And for that reason I would argue that the 2 exam route is better for those with no experience and just starting out. The 1 exam making sense for those recertifying and already in the field. But either way, if someone in an interview asks "So did you do 1 exam or 2?" and then looks down upon you, he/she is an idiot and it's better not working for one anyway.
  • PheonyxPheonyx Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I knew it! Sounded like his ego was talking since he took the 1 exam route. I knew it couldn't be true, that is such bullshit hahaha thank you guys for reaffirming my thoughts on the subject! I love how responsive this community is! Thank you tech exams and everyone who replied! much love!
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 420 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA is CCNA - end of story.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Perchance does your friend also think people who got their associates first before their bachelors are frowned upon instead of those who just went and got the bachelors directly? :P
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    An employer wouldn't give a monkeys whether you took one exam of two to get the cert. The only time I'd be interested in how somebody passed their exam and what exams they took would be if I thought they'd used brain ****.

And you can usually spot these people from a mile off.