Ever Feel Guilty Passing Coworkers By?

olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
Recently at my latest job a level 3 position was posted. Me being new and on probation I couldnt apply.
They ended up not filling the position because none of the tech 2 level guys had a CCNP and thats all they really wanted.
I will have my CCNP (in theory) right around the time my probation ends and Im sure I will get the level 3 spot without much effort.
Im sure I will also feel slightly guilty about it though, since a lot of these guys have been here for awhile and are very smart.
This sort of thing seems to happen a lot in my favor.
Just wondering everyone thoughts on similar matters...

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No. I am only competing with myself, nobody else. There are some who will get roles instead of me and there are some who I will get a role instead of someone else.

That is life and I don't feel guilty for making moves and kicking ass. :)
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why would you feel guilty about your coworkers not having the motivation to get the CCNP?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's actually a very thing to remember. You never really know who your next boss or subordinate will be. I've had peers who now report to me and similarly peers who became senior to me. It may seem uncomfortable but if you are professional and treat everyone with respect, it can work out. I've been in some very uncomfortable positions like this before - including taking over teams so it can be reorganized. But as long as you are professional and remember that you are working for a business, no one can really fault you.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Looks like we're in a similar situation.

I wont get into details but I got a big bump with amazing projects that I can put in my resume.
    Here's the deal. It's all about sacrifice. I know that I put a lot of time to get to where I am at. A part of me feels bad, but a part of me says that i deserved it.

So while others were relaxing, watching tv at night, spending their money on other things beside a lab, sleeping 8hrs, and going out in the weekends, I was and still am sacrificing personal time.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    That's actually a very thing to remember. You never really know who your next boss or subordinate will be. I've had peers who now report to me and similarly peers who became senior to me. It may seem uncomfortable but if you are professional and treat everyone with respect, it can work out. I've been in some very uncomfortable positions like this before - including taking over teams so it can be reorganized. But as long as you are professional and remember that you are working for a business, no one can really fault you.
    Well put
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Why would you feel guilty about your coworkers not having the motivation to get the CCNP?
    I dont.
    There is some guilt when I know my coworkers think they deserve something or have earned something through experience or company loyalty and then the new guy comes in and takes it just because of some piece of paper.
    And I wouldnt say everyone lacks motivation. Some just dont see the benefit. Or they didnt know that it was expected for the tech 3 position and will not be able to get the CCNP before me
    Im not saying Im overwhelmed with sadness, but there is some guilt.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ these guys said it well. I have goals, I work for them. Other don't and love the status quo. I'm happy, they're happy. That's it.
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Here is a true story: I was offered position of NOC Supervisor at my last position.

They wanted to promote me to supervise HD Operators, Security Admins and Desktop team. Being the newest guy there I felt I did not deserve the job offer. I recommended they choose the guy who had been there 10 years to become NOC Supervisor.

The guy that had been there 10 years gets the supervisor position and lets it all go to his head...I never once told him I recommended my promotion for him.

A year passes by, the entire desktop team quits because they think this guy is a horrible leader. He sleeps at home and disappears for 5-7 hours a day when he should be the focal point for operations issues.

Guess, what? He gets another promotion and raise.

Moral of the story:
    If you are selected or accepted for a position there is probably a great reason why. I will probably never pass up a promotion again.