Options

Cyber security carrer path

DWitherDWither Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im interested in in pursuing a degree to start a career in Cyber Security. To be more specific it would be an Associate of applied science in Computer Information Tech Electronic Crime Investigation. I have a few questions.

Would school be needed for such a field or would certs be enough

Would it be beneficial to look for a normal IT help desk job during school would it not matter since it isnt security based

If school is needed would a AAS be enough would would a bachelors be needed. I work and have a family so the school in my area is my only choice since moving isn't an option. And the only have an AAS program

If anyone has any other tips i would love to hear them

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    School is not needed for any career path but unless you're the cream of the crop there will be a ceiling if you don't have education credentials. To that point, BS > AAS all day.

Given that degree program, do you want to go into the FBI or something of the sort? Typically those types of positions are for state or federal entities. If you don't have prior military experience you will be at a general disadvantage compared to other recruits.

Lastly, experience trumps all. You can't jump into a cybersecurity position with just a degree. You can't jump into a cybersecurity position with Help Desk experience and a degree. You typically segue from a hybrid sys admin/security role into full cybersecurity. That said, "cybersecurity" is VERY broad. Refer to some of my previous points of the path the degree would take you. If those don't interest you, I wouldn't recommend the program.
  • Options
    I think doing a FBI or police job would be awesome However i am open to other careers in the IT or computer security realm . I know a BS would be better then a AAS but the BS isnt an option were im able to school I was also looking at security analyst position i would possible be interested in that sort of thing is well.

These are the degress available at the place im able to study Im really just looking for a career in which i can work with computers working with security side of that just peaked my intrest.
  • Options
    proximaproxima Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I myself is interested in Cyber Security, but I am more interested in Red Teaming than anything else. Check out UNLV, I think they have a cyber security research program there, but I could be wrong.

A friend of mine got into a Cyber Security gig through his hackerspace. He started late like I did, but he showed interest and learned what he could from other members. One of them was looking for a analyst and offered my friend a position. He just had to get his Sec+, and eventually worked toward his CEH and he just recently got his CISSP and working as a contractor for Uncle Sam... Lucky smeghead got to skip all of the Help Desk BS, and here I am trying to get my foot in the door.

If you can check out www.defcon.org and attend it in August since you are already there. Network and meet with people. Also check out your hackerspace and join different organizations.
  • Options
    proxima wrote: »
    I myself is interested in Cyber Security, but I am more interested in Red Teaming than anything else. Check out UNLV, I think they have a cyber security research program there, but I could be wrong.

A friend of mine got into a Cyber Security gig through his hackerspace. He started late like I did, but he showed interest and learned what he could from other members. One of them was looking for a analyst and offered my friend a position. He just had to get his Sec+, and eventually worked toward his CEH and he just recently got his CISSP and working as a contractor for Uncle Sam... Lucky smeghead got to skip all of the Help Desk BS, and here I am trying to get my foot in the door.

If you can check out www.defcon.org and attend it in August since you are already there. Network and meet with people. Also check out your hackerspace and join different organizations.

Thanks i will look into that
  • Options
    proximaproxima Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also check the NSA website for the list of "Centers of Academic Excellence." There is a list of colleges and universities and I believe that UNLV is still on there, I have not checked lately. I should transfer to one of those schools myself, but I am ready to leave Florida.