CCIE Chapter Two - Security

13»

Comments

• darkestclowndarkestclown Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Must admit, I am quite tempted to do the CCIE Security lab- just had my 10 year R&S anniversary this week!! I also have been looking at virtualising the lab. Initially I looked at the older servers, but I think there will be more mileage with a AMD Threadripper or the recently announced Intel i9s. Presently, the Threadripper seems to offer the biggest bang per buck, but I bet Intel will lower prices somewhat to compete. RAM costs are the biggest killer and I would expect to use a minimum of 96GB. Fortunately, the lab looks like most can now be virtualised, so there are mega savings there....
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Exactly my thinking.

One can easily pick up an older Dell or UCS blade for a few hundred quid though and it's already got 128GB... I'd go that route if I had a brick shed or somewhere I could keep it running though.
  • EricsLearningEricsLearning Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mine was free so its definitely worth it but I've invested a fair amount in noise canceling headphones and earplugs so it may be a wash =)
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glad to see you jumping back into this! I look forward to seeing your progress. I am also curious what you end up doing in regards to the lab you build out. I will soon be designing one for my IE studies as well.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi