Options

CCNA Netacad query

Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys and girls,

I completed my Netacad CCNA semester 1 final exam and passed that part of the course last night, hoping to hit my CCENT later this year after nailing semester 2. Have many of you here done the NetAcad course and the CCNA external exams, if so did you find the course prepared you adequately or did you have to put in a lot of extra effort for ICND 1 &2 ?

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took all the semesters of netacad, and for what it's worth, my teacher always told the class to use at least 1 more source
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The NetAcad program definitely goes into detail beyond whats on the exam but I preferred the additional information.

I still suggest supplementing the classes with Odem's book but some people dislike reading.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I've ordered the Odom book anyway based on other posts here plus it gets good reviews! Extra source material is always helpful, the nice thing with NetAcad has been building the physical labs and messing around with them too!
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After some reading of Odom's book, I'm starting to really like the way he explains things, especially in the beginning, and I think you made a good choice with it since you already have some knowledge in it.

If you were new, it would be slightly tougher to get in to, and I would have suggested Lammle's book.

Odom goes over the basics of the basics in the beginning. He truly lays an outstanding foundation for someone to build upon, in my opinion, and he is on point with information. He's an easy read but dry when compared to Lammle (Lammle is having a conversation with the reader whereas Odom is sweet and to the point).

Let us know how you like it.
  • Options
    ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NetAcad alum and instructor here. The NetAcad does a nice job delivering the material, but results on preparedness will vary based on how the class was delivered and of course the students. It really depends on several factors:

- Did you do the labs for the chapters, at least the configuring & troubleshooting ones? (ideally on real equipment when possible)
    - Was the course delivered by an instructor in-person, or was it more online/self-study?
    - How did you do in Semester 1? Semester 1 is the intro and basic theory/configuration. Did everything make sense? Are you struggling with anything? Can you do VLSM subnetting with accuracy and a good amount of speed? Do you understand the ARP process and how switches build their MAC tables?

Now even if you did well in the Intro to Networks (semester 1), starting with semester 2 (and especially 3 & 4), the material becomes more technical and detail-oriented. Some people can just wing it through the first semester or two but will start to hit the wall towards the end of Semester 2 (around the time dynamic routing comes in). If it happens to you, then you just need to figure out the best way for you to deal with it.

So yes, NetAcad does help prepare you for the exams. However:

- It relies on you, your results will depend on the effort you put in.
    - While it is possible to pass on one source alone, you should never rely on just one source. What else you use though is up to you. (Books, Youtube, Google, Cisco's Website, etc).
    - Lab, Lab, and Lab. Oh, and Lab some more. You learn the theory in the books, but you can see it play out in the lab. If you're given a lab, you should be able to complete the lab from start to finish, even if someone went through and blacked out the commands. Also, it is a good idea to regularly practice your subnetting.
    - If you are taking the course, ask the instructor what his/her thoughts are on where you fall.

At the end of Semester 2, and Semester 4, there are practice certification exams you can take to help gauge yourself. I feel that at the end of the course, you should have a good idea on whether or not you are ready based on how the class went.
  • Options
    Thanks chaps, got the Odom book yesterday so had a brief look over it. Looks very comprehensive so hoping it is the reading source that goes nicely alongside my NetAcad studies.

In reply to Reibe, I made a point of doing all of the labs on physical equipment- I enjoyed that side of things as it really adds muscle memory to all of the reading plus the troubleshooting side of things was good. Made a few cabling and config issues early on so getting that troubleshooting experience was good fun.

I did find the subnetting and VLSM part difficult at first but after speaking to my instructor and practicing it I soon got better. I'm far from an expert but I feel a lot more comfortable with it and with more practice should get speedier too!

Also had a good review of things with my instructor following passing the Semester 1 final exam, he said I had made great progress (backed up by my chapter exams, Labs and PT activities) then again some people have already dropped out!!!! Looking forward to Semester 2 next anyway icon_smile.gif