Options

WGU BSIT- Security programming portion

Juicy JonJuicy Jon Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I plan on attending WGU in August when they are done looking at my transcripts and I decided to go for BSIT-Security.

I was wondering how they actually teach programming and what languages they teach for the security sector. I have taken a few programming classes before but not too many. I also read through the core coursework and did not get the information I was seeking.

Everyone here looks friendly and helpful so I thought I would ask as I am curious.

Thanks in advance,
Juicy

Comments

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am currently beginning the today as I've just started accelerating. It looks to be focused on Python, and links to CodeAcademy resources. And for the Record I believe that Python fits the bill well as a lot of Kali and Pentesting content out there like (Black Hat Python) revolve around Python.
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Java

C169 - Scripting and Programming - Applications
    Competencies
    This course provides guidance to help you demonstrate the following 4 competencies:
    • Competency 4016.1.1: Introduction to Java Programming
      The graduate defines programming languages, identifies common algorithms, and identifies the parts of the Java Programming Environment.
    • Competency 4016.1.2: Object-oriented Concepts
      The graduate understands the object-oriented programming paradigm and identifies its elements.
    • Competency 4016.1.3: Variables and Data Types
      The graduate declares, initializes, and assigns values to a variable and differentiates between primitive and object data types.
    • Competency 4016.1.4: Control Structures
      The graduate utilizes decision and loop constructs to control the flow of a program.
  • Options
    vaguemediavaguemedia Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started the Python related material. It's interesting. The course material is high quality, I'm enjoying it so far. Just hope that I can walk away from the courses with a touch practical knowledge vs. a high level understanding.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is really nice to see they added python. I spent entirely too long telling my mentor about how having a security focus and skipping python to teach web design is just bonkers. I ended up going through code academy and others for python on my own.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the links I will be taking this in my last term so it helps give me a heads up!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63