Options

Schools like WGU

billyr2009billyr2009 Member Posts: 120
Hi All,

I am looking at online Masters degrees in Information Security. I am trying to get some tuition reimbursement for my company, however my company states that the program they will reimburse for has to have letter grades and it must be an A or a B. WGU I believe offers competancy grading in their masters programs. Do you know if there is another programs similar to WGUs Master in MS:Inormation Security & Assurance that offers a similar program, near the same price, and offering grades?

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There's nothing even close to price and speed of completion. Your best bet is to go sit down with your HR dept (or whoever can change/make an exception to the policy) and basically ask for a waiver. Sell it on accreditation.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I agree with Colemic. Make sure that they understand that when you are deemed competent for a course, it basically means that you earn at least a B letter grade equivalent for the course.

DSU would be my choice for an Information Assurance degree outside of WGU.

Stay away from "For-Profit" colleges.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    colemic wrote: »
    There's nothing even close to price and speed of completion. Your best bet is to go sit down with your HR dept (or whoever can change/make an exception to the policy) and basically ask for a waiver. Sell it on accreditation.

I have had 3 different companies pay for WGU over the years, and I had to do something similar to this, but all of them pay it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a list of accrediated schools, go to geteducated.com
  • Options
    210mike210mike Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A few years ago we worked something out with our HR department to get the tuition policy to cover 80% of WGU as a compromise to them not offering a letter grade. See what you can do with the company.
    WGU BS: IT Network and Design Management (Completed Oct 2014)
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    jdancer wrote: »
    For a list of accrediated schools, go to geteducated.com

Great recommendation, jdancer!

Just wanted to add this here. Geteducated's best online bachelor in Computer Science/Technology degree programs:

Online Bachelors Degree Computer Science | Affordable Online Degrees | Best Online Colleges | Best Online Universities | GetEducated.com
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Capitol Technology University (formerly Capitol College) has a really good M.S. in Cyber and Information Security. It was recently renamed from Information Assurance to Cyber and Information Security. It is all online and the college is designated as a Center of Academic Excellence by the NSA.

https://captechu.edu/academics/graduate-academics/information-assurance-ms/degree-requirements