Options

CCENT > Network + ?

battlebroccolibattlebroccoli Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I just passed my CCENT exam this morning and am planning to continue on and take my CCNA Security in the near future. But the question I have is this, I have heard that the CCENT is harder than Network + and that the only difficult thing about Network + is the antiquated technologies they test for. So I'm assuming passing Network + would require minimal studying. Would it be worth it for me to get the Network + certification or would an employer really not care as I would of already had obtained more difficult networking certs? Is it worth the time/money investment?

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Network+ is basically irrelevant now. I would continue on and obtain your CCNA. Unless you are doing WGU or a school that requires it, I say disregard.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    I am doing WGU as a matter of fact, but they want me to have a CCNA for admissions, not network +.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    It does depend on the degree, though. You need Network+ for IT Security but I am not sure for the other ones.

I am starting IT Security in the fall and you need these:

CCNA
    CCNA:Security
    Network+
    Security+
    Linux+
    Project+

(I think these are accurate)
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    I am going for the Masters of Information Assurance and Security and I was told I need one or more of the following, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, CISSP or GIAC. Is yours a Masters program? That seems like an awful lot of certs required to start.....
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Considering it requires an A+, MTA, etc. for BS I don't see a CCNA requirement for MS that much different in a relative sense. There's one important part of the Network+ that isn't in the CCENT, cabling and connectors. If you know them already, nevermind the network+, if you don't know them maybe study up on them but I wouldn't suggest paying to take the network+. I don't really see the cert doing anything for a resume, especially if you plan on CCNA anyways.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan on taking the CCENT one day.....After I clean Linux+ and CEH off my plate.....

I'm not on the "NET+ is worthless" train. I think I lot of getting jobs in IT is based on how you package yourself...for example, Net + with nothing else may not land you a network/sys admin position by itself, but Net + along with server+ and Linux experience may land you a sysadmin job with some cisco/networking involved. IT job listings tend to be detailed and can include a lot of different technologies and skills......Don't just limit your self to one skill/cert.

CCENT is a vendor specific cert.....it may keep you in one place dealing with one type of technology. That may be a good or bad thing. also if you look at some of the listings on job boards, people aren't exactly including CCENT as must needs nor is a CCENT search going to produce a crazy amount of results. I'm willing to bet you can find more listings requiring NET+ than CCENT..........Besides, when these recruiters call you, they hardly know what any of this stuff means. Recruiters often don't know CCENT is probably a step up from Net+...... they just know the client needs X certification to fill X role......so that's what they look for

now if you just so love Cisco and can never see yourself dating any other networking product, then by all means, marry the whole Cisco family and ignore Net+ in the process. But if you are looking for flexibility and calls from recruiters, jump on Net+ too.....It really doesn't hurt.
  • Options
    cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll take it a step further.....In my current position, I deal with Cisco........Now I dont NEED to have any cisco certs......if I get a cisco cert.......thats cool and will make me better at my position....however....once I got my position...i NEEDED my Net+ in order to retain my position.....Net + was a requirement....

Dont completely rule out Net +.....in the eyes of the tech.......CCENT is higher than Net+...but to the rest of the world...Net+ is probably just as valuable......maybe even more.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I would not bother with the Network+. It's like twice the cost of the ICND2 (CCNA R&S) exam, and is worth nowhere near as much on the resume. The CCNA will get more hits on HR resume filters.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I would not bother with the Network+. It's like twice the cost of the ICND2 (CCNA R&S) exam, and is worth nowhere near as much on the resume. The CCNA will get more hits on HR resume filters.

Is the goal to "get more hits" or is it to demonstrate skill set of said candidate? Part of the reason why hiring managers stop taking certs seriously is because of the former. Certifications have lost their credibility at this point. Especially the CCNA.

FYI: The Network+ at bare minimum is $235 and the CCENT is $150 while the full CCNA is $295.

The exams serve two different purposes. One is for literacy and one is for Mastery.