Options

Entry Level Jobs

RellyRaleRellyRale Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello I have been following the site for a while now and I want to thank everyone for your tips and suggestions. I was able to learn a lot to help me get ahead of the mark and I passed both my A+ exams last week. Im currently in Lab Four training to get my MCSA Win 7 to take the 70-680 and 70-685. I currently make $12 as a document scanner but I want to get something of equal pay or more to get my foot in the door. My first couple interviews the question is asked what is your IT background. I have no formal IT background or professional background in the field. I am very knowledgeable about the concepts as I have been studying for quite some time and I have done computer repair on the side since the late 90s. How do I convince these interviewers that I can do the job without having any experience. How do I convince them to give me a chance. I feel like I do really well in the interviews and I feel like they like me and understand I know my stuff but I've been honest about not having any professional experience. Any suggestions are quite welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    A+ should allow you to get some type of help desk job.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    bmnaughtbmnaught Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try internships or volunteers
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "What experience do you have in IT?"

"My experience has been mostly been formal education and self study on my home lab, the IT market where I lived before was very small and there were no entry level positions, but I enjoyed it so much that I earned my degree while working full time in another field and continued studying regularly on my own and obtained X certifications, actively research emerging trends and resources in IT, etc."
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A suggestion I might add is maybe considering contract work to get you started. It helped me immensely in the beginning as I gained a ton of experience and I was exposed to many different types of companies and environments. It also helped me find out what roles I enjoyed and working with a diversity of people of different backgrounds also expanded my soft skills... ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    RellyRaleRellyRale Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I have no experience I just have been studying and reading for about 2 years and I have a few computers Im going to setup a home lab to practice on. My school is really helpful on finding resources on jobs since they do job placement. They are encouraging me to leave my current job and start to work at this warehouse repairing and building laptops for Dell. Im thinking about biting on it.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RellyRale wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I have no experience I just have been studying and reading for about 2 years and I have a few computers Im going to setup a home lab to practice on. My school is really helpful on finding resources on jobs since they do job placement. They are encouraging me to leave my current job and start to work at this warehouse repairing and building laptops for Dell. Im thinking about biting on it.

Any experience would help you go much farther and get you started!! I would definitely consider it. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63