Options

WGU's BS in Security, Start Date: August 1, Goal: 70CU in 1 Term

Comments

• Options
    ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How did you guys access the pre-assessments already? I completed orientation on the 15th too, but I don't have access to anything else...
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    How did you guys access the pre-assessments already? I completed orientation on the 15th too, but I don't have access to anything else...
    If you go to your degree plan, it has the classes listed out. Go ahead and click the first class "C182" and you can take the pre-assessment there.
  • Options
    ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I click on my degree plan, it's blank with an 'Internal Error' message. I found the direct link to the courses through the reddit mentioned earlier though, so I'm good. Thank you!
  • Options
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    Definitely! Also I found out via reddit that we'd probably be matched with a mentor on Monday according to a mentor's reply on reddit

So I met with my mentor today for the first time, I have a meeting on Friday to run through the Degree plan.

Did you get assigned yet?
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes finally have! Though the earliest I could schedule a 15 minute meeting for was tomorrow at 12:45PM. I'm not sure if this is somehow enough to run through much of anything.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    Yes finally have! Though the earliest I could schedule a 15 minute meeting for was tomorrow at 12:45PM. I'm not sure if this is somehow enough to run through much of anything.
    My first call was very brief, almost a survey-type call. How did you hear about us, what made you choose us, do you have any fears or concerns as to why you wouldn't do well here at WGU, picking a time during the week that would be a good time for us to chat each week, etc.

He then tells you that you can join a group session call about the Degree Plan training or you can do a one-on-one. I opted for one-on-one as he said it'd be quicker since it would be just us and not a whole group of people asking questions.

Have you been digging through your Intro to IT class? Enjoying it so far?
  • Options
    Oh boy then I'm really crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get the full on meeting for either Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'll definitely be opting for the one-on-one as I'd hate to sit there and hear people ask about things I've heard answered countless times on these forums.

I've been digging through the Intro to IT and A+ coursework so far. Never thought I'd ever have to study for the A+, but I can't say I'm not learning or re-learning things I haven't heard of or touched in many years. Definitely looking to try and pass both courses within the first 2 1/2 weeks of classes.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    I'm also doing this thing where I'm tracking almost exactly how much time I'm investing in each course using the Task Timer extension (including time spent taking pre-assessments and watching videos). In hopes that once I'm done with everything, I could have some visual representation of how much time I spent on my studies for myself, and for others to get an idea of what could be expected.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's some hectic study Schedule But I believe that if you have Will the and Commit yourself to it . you can do it. Nyblizzard you have got some studying to do. better get to it !!!!!icon_thumright.gificon_study.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    So I got to speak to my mentor.... for about 30 seconds before he proceeded to put me on hold, tell me he had received a call from an "administrator", and would call me back in a few minutes. Not to mention he was 10 minutes late to begin with on what was supposed to be a 15 min call. I'm giving him 8 more minutes as I can't be waiting any longer (it'll have been almost an hour since my appointment).

Certainly not a good first impression
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    So we ended up talking a few minutes after my last post. Apparently there was an issue involved with a student not wanting to be dismissed despite not making progress for some time. We got to know each other and speak about the program for about 30 minutes. I informed him on my plans for completing my program within the first 6 months, and he was completely on board with assisting and guiding me by providing his time and effort to get this done.

Despite the initial hiccup, I'm currently feeling good about him given how open he was to having me complete my goal. I was a pretty nervous I'd be matched up with someone who might have made it difficult, but it doesn't sound like he'll stop me. We have our formal degree plan meeting on Monday afternoon, so we'll see how it goes.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    So we ended up talking a few minutes after my last post. Apparently there was an issue involved with a student not wanting to be dismissed despite not making progress for some time. We got to know each other and speak about the program for about 30 minutes. I informed him on my plans for completing my program within the first 6 months, and he was completely on board with assisting and guiding me by providing his time and effort to get this done.

Despite the initial hiccup, I'm currently feeling good about him given how open he was to having me complete my goal. I was a pretty nervous I'd be matched up with someone who might have made it difficult, but it doesn't sound like he'll stop me. We have our formal degree plan meeting on Monday afternoon, so we'll see how it goes.

Nice, I did the one-on-one meeting for the degree plan today. It was more of a training session, was supposed to last 45 minutes but only went 15 or so, as I had already dug through all of it and knew what most of it was.

We have another call at the beginning of next week to move me to enrollment after I have had time to decide how I want my classes organized. So, I don't know if the process is 2 Degree Plan calls or not, yours might be training, might not be.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like we will be graduating to close to around the same time frame NYblizzard!! Finishing up my Tech Writing/Capstone Project.

Let me know along your journey if I can help or assist. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    vmixervmixer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I informed him on my plans for completing my program within the first 6 months, and he was completely on board with assisting and guiding me by providing his time and effort to get this done.

I think the mentors like students that want to accelerate. I am pretty sure their job depends on how many students graduate or meet SAP. I didn't tell my mentor up front my plans, I prefer to underpromise and over deliver. I turned in 6 papers on my first day earning 3cu. By the end of my first week I had had 9cu. I started 6/1 and as of last night have earned 31 cu.

My mentor was thrilled, never tried to get in my way or slow me down. Our calls are very, very brief. She's my cheerleader if I want her to be and she responds to all emails/voice mails with in an hour or two. She's sometimes replies to emails on weekends, though I never expect her to. She's never said no to unlocking anything, including exams.

I think she's more then happy to give me leeway, because even if I do nothing for the next four months it doesn't matter. I have made acceptable academic progress or whatever metric they use. I would hope they are all that way.
  • Options
    So, I have finally battled through the horrendous GSC1. Lots of good info, but man is it hard to focus on stuff I couldn't care less about..
    Passed Pre-Assessment after finishing the last module with an %80. Believe I will continue to study while Assessment is being approved so I can move on to A+.

How is yours going so far?
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    And here I thought I did pretty well closing out the term with 17 CUs. icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Starting BS:IT Security on 9/1, Looking forward to it. I'm going to try to tackle the below first:
    Introduction to IT
    Elements of Effective Communication
    IT Foundations
    IT Applications
    Critical Thinking and Logic
    What resources are being used for A+? I have roughly 12 years experience IT (server/network/telecom) and having multiple Microsoft certs and CCNA/CCDA and started CCNP R&S along with some specialty certs, it's going to be hard to re-visit the A+. I have to complete 71 CUs. I'm going to dread the programming and data management classes as well as web development...not to mention Linux+.... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fjhesq,

I too had to do A+ for my WGU class. I didn't want to revisit it either, and I had to force myself to dive into it. Ugh. RAM pins this, HW that, blaaah blaaah blaaaaaah. I didn't even look at the material provided by WGU but instead got the Darril Gibson book and Exam Cram.
    Get Certified Get Ahead | Helping people Get Certified so that they can Get Ahead.

On the issue of CLC1 (Critical thinking and Problem Solving I think it was) the Mindedge modules IN WGU helped alot. Do those practice exams in there. That test is not too hard, but it is a beast when it comes to the questions being pretty much all scenario. Another "two possible right answers" type thing. Just read the questions and focus. :)
  • Options
    fjhesq wrote: »
    Starting BS:IT Security on 9/1, Looking forward to it. I'm going to try to tackle the below first:
    Introduction to IT
    Elements of Effective Communication
    IT Foundations
    IT Applications
    Critical Thinking and Logic
    What resources are being used for A+? I have roughly 12 years experience IT (server/network/telecom) and having multiple Microsoft certs and CCNA/CCDA and started CCNP R&S along with some specialty certs, it's going to be hard to re-visit the A+. I have to complete 71 CUs. I'm going to dread the programming and data management classes as well as web development...not to mention Linux+.... icon_sad.gif

Intro to IT is difficult unless you love every aspect of IT. I started Aug 1 and am preping for assessment now. Databases, programming & scripting, etc all stuff I don't care about, so it sucked.

A+, been years since I have dealt with heavy desktop work, and I had passed it about 5 years ago. It sucks too.
  • Options
    I guess I am due for an update! I was holding out on updating until the end of the week as I haven't completed any courses (5 days into the term and why do I feel like I'm behind icon_rolleyes.gif)

I've passed the pre-assessments for Intro to IT, IT Foundations (first half of A+ exam), and Scripting/Programming Foundations. Spoke with my mentor on Monday and was approved to take the final assessment for Intro to IT and waiting on the voucher for IT Foundations, but as I still haven't received my success kit with the camera, I've decided to keep the material fresh while I move on to other things.

I started going through the material for Critical Thinking & Logic making steady progress on that and College Algebra (fond memories of material I haven't seen in 12 years). I also started casually listening to the CCNA CBT Nuggets videos during my commute or while taking a "break" while playing Rocket League.

I'm really pushing to make significant progress for the rest of the week as I will be away from 08/10-08/14 and would really only work during my flights. I was a little worried that I wouldn't necessarily pass any classes for another week or so, but I know that I am making significant progress through the material on various courses that I'll be ready when I can finally begin taking final exams.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    So, I have finally battled through the horrendous GSC1. Lots of good info, but man is it hard to focus on stuff I couldn't care less about..
    Passed Pre-Assessment after finishing the last module with an %80. Believe I will continue to study while Assessment is being approved so I can move on to A+.

How is yours going so far?

Congrats! The Intro to IT material was so tedious to go through yet I'll admit pretty in depth for newcomers to the field as it covers so many different aspects of IT.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    Congrats! The Intro to IT material was so tedious to go through yet I'll admit pretty in depth for newcomers to the field as it covers so many different aspects of IT.

I thought the same thing, someone that wasn't familiar with a large amount of that information would have a difficult time grasping a lot of those concepts.
    I wasn't pleased with my IT Foundations Pre-Assessment, I didn't realize how much I had forgotten. Think I made a %64 on it, before digging through any materials. I was trying really hard to keep things at one class at a time and not get classes mixed, but it seems like getting pre-assessments and assessments approved is taking longer than I anticipated.
  • Options
    Probably the thing I got the most out of reading other threads on people who were able to accelerate quickly is to not wait around on approvals/vouchers/papers being graded. The key seems to be to always work on something else if you hit one of those roadblocks for a class.
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    Probably the thing I got the most out of reading other threads on people who were able to accelerate quickly is to not wait around on approvals/vouchers/papers being graded. The key seems to be to always work on something else if you hit one of those roadblocks for a class.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I was given the approval to continue onto the Intro to IT assessment, but don't have my camera yet either, wondering how big of a deal it is to take it with the computers built in webcam.
  • Options
    I honestly didn't even bother to ask my mentor or around these parts as I just assumed you couldn't icon_sad.gif
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    ImThe0ne wrote: »
    Yeah, that makes sense. I was given the approval to continue onto the Intro to IT assessment, but don't have my camera yet either, wondering how big of a deal it is to take it with the computers built in webcam.

You cannot use the webcam that is in your pc unfortunately. You need the camera they send you because of how you need to position the camera (Clear view of desk, hands, partial view of screen, etc). I love the proctored exams! No need to leave the comfort of your home :) Good luck on your first assessment!
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]
  • Options
    Ajay_patil22Ajay_patil22 Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How are you progressing Nyblizzard? I started on 1st August15 too and passed 'Intro to IT' last night with 87%. Next stop Network + :)
  • Options
    f16jetman wrote: »
    You cannot use the webcam that is in your pc unfortunately. You need the camera they send you because of how you need to position the camera (Clear view of desk, hands, partial view of screen, etc). I love the proctored exams! No need to leave the comfort of your home :) Good luck on your first assessment!

Yeah, I ended up having to wait until 6 days later when my camera came in. That was my first home proctored exam, I think it is incredible to be honest with you. There are still many, many ways that the system could be overcome, but it is still a step in the right direction. A few co-workers and I were discussing it, not that I did or will ever do this, but we came up with 4 to 5 ridiculously easy ways that the proctored exams could be "cheated" on.

So I started Aug 1st as well, and so far I have passed Intro to IT, IT Foundations, and am scheduled to take IT Applications on Monday. That will be initially enrolled 12 credits knocked out. Then will be moving to complete MCSA: Windows 8.1 before it retires in Nov and is replaced with something else.
  • Options
    Long time no update! So I've started off a lot slower than I had anticipated having only passed IT Foundations at this point with Intro to IT scheduled for Monday evening. I will say waiting for that camera and my mid-month vacation certainly put a damper on my progress starting off (now I'll have to think ahead for the 8 days I'll be gone in September). When all is said and done, I will have had to maintained a 3-4 courses completed per month to reach my goal. Despite my slow August (as far as classes completed), I am still highly motivated! Let's do this
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    Long time no update! So I've started off a lot slower than I had anticipated having only passed IT Foundations at this point with Intro to IT scheduled for Monday evening. I will say waiting for that camera and my mid-month vacation certainly put a damper on my progress starting off (now I'll have to think ahead for the 8 days I'll be gone in September). When all is said and done, I will have had to maintained a 3-4 courses completed per month to reach my goal. Despite my slow August (as far as classes completed), I am still highly motivated! Let's do this
    Good progress though, I have passed Intro to IT, IT Foundations and IT Applications at this point. I am waiting on my new degree plan to be approved. Have already started "Operating systems" C183 and hope to be ready for exam in the next 1.5weeks or so.