Recertification Question

aia87aia87 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi guys ,
so i have ccna and ccnp r/s certifications but they both will expire in October 2015
i've been studying ccna/ccnp security for a long time now and with some reviewing i can take ccna sec or any ccnp sec exam but the problem here is money

my main goal is to finish ccna/ccnp sec but right now my main focus is to renew my r/s certifications

so my question is this
if i skip ccna sec for now and pass one exam from the ccnp sec cert
will that renew my ccna-ccnp r/s certifications ?

i know passing ccnp exam without ccna isn't recommanded but i'm looking for a way to renew my r/s cert and take a little step forward without losing money on a cert i already took

i'll get back to ccna sec when i have the budget and then complete my ccnp studies

Comments

• koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From Cisco : "Valid CCNA Security Certification or any CCIE Certification can act as a prerequisite"
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp_security/index.html

So you'll have to do CCNA Security first.
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe you can take a P level exam for security before you take CCNA/S, but it won't count towards CCNP/S until you get your A level cert. Whether it will renew your CCNP R&S, I'm not sure. I think you can email certifications@cisco.com to find out.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Mow wrote: »
    I believe you can take a P level exam for security before you take CCNA/S, but it won't count towards CCNP/S until you get your A level cert.

Correct. Basically, you can do CCNA/CCNP certifications in any order, but you won't receive the official certification until you've achieved all prerequisite (and CCNA or any CCIE is usually a prerequisite).
    Whether it will renew your CCNP R&S, I'm not sure. I think you can email certifications@cisco.com to find out.

It will. I just did this myself by completing a CCNP:SP exam without having CCNA:SP, and it renewed all CCNA/CCNP exams.

So in the thread starter's position, taking a CCNP:Sec exam that he's confident that he will pass seems like the obvious thing to do.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    It will. I just did this myself by completing a CCNP:SP exam without having CCNA:SP, and it renewed all CCNA/CCNP exams.

My understanding is that you don't need CCNA: SP to get CCNP: SP as long as you have passed ROUTE.
    The following will act as a prerequisite:

I noticed on my certification progress after passing ROUTE that it said I met the requirements to pursue CCNP: SP, so I looked it up. This appears to only be true for the Service Provider track.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Yes that's true until July 24th 2015.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    I passed DCUFI (CCNP DC track) and got my CCNP RS Renewed.