Salesforce

PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
I'm going to shamelessly plug my company Salesforce having seen other threads with salaries and job associations. Not to mention a ton of people here who have no idea where to specialize. These are pretty accurate salaries and the demand is insane. I've had tremendous professional success over the last year or so by learning this stuff.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did a fair amount of Salesforce Administration about two years ago and really enjoyed the product. Definitely a very interesting field to be in!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    That looks good! Salesforce is a good career option in APAC as well. Pays decently too.

@Polynomial : Any suggestions for a Sys Admin that does Infra/Admin and Automation to learn a little Sales Force Admin maybe ?
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    My first questions to that is A) Is your company using it? or B) Is your company sourcing CRM options?
  • lumenitelumenite Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good afternoon, for some reason i couldnt pm you. but I just came across a comment you made about looking into career in salesforce. A friend of mine recently advised I look towards attaining entry level certs. As a more experienced professional any advice(Study materials on certs, Career outlook, skills needed in the field,) on this certification would be appreciated. I am a student, still looking at what career path interests me. Hope to hear from you. Happy New Year. !!
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    lumenite wrote: »
    Good afternoon, for some reason i couldnt pm you. but I just came across a comment you made about looking into career in salesforce. A friend of mine recently advised I look towards attaining entry level certs. As a more experienced professional any advice(Study materials on certs, Career outlook, skills needed in the field,) on this certification would be appreciated. I am a student, still looking at what career path interests me. Hope to hear from you. Happy New Year. !!

First step with these things is just Google "Salesforce Certification". There's three main resources you'll come across: the official page, training/examination institutes, and blogs.

The Official Page will generally outline the process, what the prerequisites are, what certifications are available and who they are aimed at, the certification roadmap (eg beginner, associate, professional, expert, architect), and certification tracks. They usually can also point you at the training available and who offers the exam, online or at an examination centre.

The training/examination institutes will give you information on how much it might cost, where you can do training/exams, etc. Training courses are usually the best option when someone else (eg your employer) is paying, otherwise you'll probably want to look at self study options, or online training. Unfortunately, the more expensive the course, the easier it is to find on Google. Community colleges, polytechnics, trade schools etc often have training options which are much cheaper, but are often harder to find.

The third resource is all those 'unofficial' reviews and experiences. So, there's things like certification rankings and earning potentials (take both with some skepticism), and reviews from people in industry (check who is writing and if they might have an agenda), and then, probably the best, is the write ups from people who've actually gone and done the certification along with details of how they studied. I'd include techexams in that category, starting with a search on the certification you are interested in, and if that returns many results add "passed" to find threads from people who have passed, usually with details of the resources they have used.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    OctalDump's post is pretty good.

Since my desktop job in higher ed only 2 years ago, I've increased my compensation by a huge margin (more than double) by focusing into Salesforce full time. If you work at a company that uses it, its worth a serious look. Salesforce is always very closely tied to the business, so you usually find much more executive buy in and understanding.