Options

Just got done with the CCNA 200-120 and bombed it

alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
I bombed it. 725 with the passing score of 825.

Operation of IP Data Networks 33%
LAN Switching Technologies 70%
IP Addressing IPv4 and IPv6 67%
IP Routing Technologies 70%
IP Services 60%
Network Device Security 20%
Troubleshooting 80%
WAN Technologies 40%

I can make excuses like I only had 2 hours of sleep last night because of a terrible sinus headache or getting called 30 minutes prior to my exam because of a vCenter emergency but what it really comes down to is I didn't know the material well enough (I thought I did). I relied too heavily on the Chris Bryant videos and not enough on other sources. Time was a major factor towards the end. I got hung up on a simulation question that burned a lot of the clock early on so I started to worry about the timer more than I should have.

I am bummed out but I will take another shot at it in a couple of weeks. I did get some good ideas for more complicated labs that will help me be better prepared for next time. I also want to purchase practice tests and I have heard the Boson tests are good. Does anyone have some recommendations for practice test providers?

Regards,
“I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”

Comments

• Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    That's pretty bad, and I have to say that you are brave for taking a shot on the composite exam.

I would recommend cisco press CCNA and CCNP books, if you want to go deeper on the content.

By the way, knowing the Cisco Docs won't hurt. Take your time to know the material, and try to lab as much as you can to keep things solid.

Cheers.
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had issues passing the CCNA, decided to stop what I was doing go back to square one and learn everything inside out, I have a stack of flashcards as tall as my computer tower. Also when you do the labs remember to treat it the same as the real world, if you configuring be sure to save your configurations.

If this is the new all in one test, be able to subnet in less then 10 seconds, that is normally the biggest time crunch.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a lot of material to cover. Good luck on the retest.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is that the composite?

Bad news about the fail but it happens to us all, I've failed a few exams in the past - just need to dust off, work out the weak areas and practice them over and over.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is a tough exam with a lot of material. I fell into the trap of focusing on one primary study tool the first time around too. You will knock it out next time for sure. You know what you need to focus on now.
  • Options
    ksmith0001ksmith0001 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You will get it next time.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Boson is a good measure. They're harder than the actual exams. If you pass Boson on the FIRST pass(there are 3), you will likely pass the realm exam. Don't just memorize Boson though. Use it to find your weak points then go back to the books and iron them out.
  • Options
    CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Commiserations on not passing, but fair play to you for attempting the composite exam. I used the Boson exam packs to pass my ICND1, and I'm already using them for my ICND2 revision. As mentioned, they're harder than the real deal but I like them because they give detailed explanations of the answers, and why they are right or wrong. Good luck on the next attempt.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since its the same end cost, you may want to tackle it one test at a time (ICND1, then ICND2). Gives you less to focus on at once. The composite exam is usually taken by guys who already have a CCNA whether it be in R&S or another track. Plus its 50% the cost if you fail. And if you pass its a chip of confidence to take on the 2nd half.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @blackout: That's the approach I am going to take starting at square one again and working through all the material from the beginning. After thinking about your other comment, I'm sure I forget to save the config on a couple of questions. As far as subnetting goes, I actually don't have any troubles there.

@10line: That is an option, taking the two test route but I think I can do the composite if I go back through the material again.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and feedback. I am going to get the Boson practice test pack and start back at square one. In a weird way, having taken the test and failed it has given me that much more motivation to pass it next time.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”