Options

Project Management "crash course"

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am realizing more and more that we (my employer and I) need someone that knows how to manage projects. At this point, I don't need to certify in this skill set. I just need to learn the basics to get me started and help us with projects moving forward.

I was thinking of reading the Project+ Sybex book and watching these videos:
Project Management - Engineer4Free: The #1 Source for Free Engineering Tutorials

Anyone else have a good idea on how to pick up the basics?

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read the Sybex book, watched the CBT Nuggets, and did some mandatory project management training for SEs at a former employer.

I have considered sending some of my staff to this seminar: Project Management Workshop - A Project Management Seminar | Fred Pryor/CareerTrack
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    I read the Sybex book, watched the CBT Nuggets, and did some mandatory project management training for SEs at a former employer.

I have considered sending some of my staff to this seminar: Project Management Workshop - A Project Management Seminar | Fred Pryor/CareerTrack

is that seminar well regarded? It seems...to cheap to be legit. There will be one of those 20 minutes from me later this year...I could definitely get my employer to pay for that.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have CBTnuggets, they have several good project management courses.
    i like Chris Ward. Maybe your boss would get you CBTnuggets.
    I haven't read Project+ recently, has been 10 years but that seems like a good place to start to me.
    There is a lot to it, but learning some techniques and terms can help.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Try the official PMBOK guide. :)
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Project+ will get your feet wet enough to decide how much further you really need to learn. The PMBOK is a beastly thing that should be rightfully caged when not in active use. Too much.

Being a good PM literally takes years of patient practice and learning time before even going after the associate certification. Been there done that. Naw, Project+ and perhaps a Microsoft Project Step by Step book if your really into it. But start small and work your way up.

- b/eads
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!